Attention grabbing jewerly 9 6.04%
Your person is themed (Emo,Gangsta,Punk,Goth) 5 3.36%
None of the above 87 58.39%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: ***SSNL LIFE THREAD NOV***

[ QUOTE ]
Have you read Mere Christianity, Jay? I was just reading this thread in SMP and it was interesting so I'm putting together an amazon cart with Christianity books. I'm a bad atheist since I don't really know anything about religion I just assume it's dumb...need to change that.

Mere Christianity seems preachy, but I dunno if it is. Is it? Ideally the book would not proselytize at all, because I couldn't deal with that.

This book looks okay: links
and this one: link
apparently this book is the religious book for English majors, so I'm supposed to like it: link

suggestions anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Keyser, I grew up superchristian, now I'm a borderline agnostic/atheist (I'm pretty sure there's no god, but I'm sick of thinking about it so if he's out there I'm going to let him be). I spent a lot of time thinking about religion when I was younger. C.S. lewis stuff is pretty good for what you're looking for; it's readable, and a reasonable mix of rationality and acceptance of the fact that belief requires an irrational faith/rejection of reason. It's literature, not philosophy, even the stuff that kinda looks like philosophy, but the easiest way for an atheist to approach religion is through the faith/fantasy/literary angle anyway. There's a 0% chance you'll be convinced by (or even appreciate) apologetics that attempt to be entirely rational/philosophical.

Kierkegaard's later stuff would probably appeal to you as well; the existentialist angst version of Christianity is anything but preachy.

I'm sure there are a lot of neutral "histories of christianity" that don't stake out a side on its truth; I don't think you'll have trouble recognizing these, the couple you linked should do the job. there are some good comparative religion studies out there as well, although none that jump to mind. There's a good historical synthesis called "Doubt" by Jennifer Michael Hecht. I think you'd like it as well; doubt and faith have been so closely related throughout history.

On the other side, philosopher Bertrand Russell's "Why I am not a Christian" is the best deconstruction of the Christian faith I've read; succinct, hits from every angle.

Don't read crap like "Evidence that Demands a Verdict", which attempts to provide historical evidence for the biblical stories; it'll drive you crazy with all the inaccuracies and logical flaws, and it's beside the point; Christianity isn't supposed to be verifiable like that.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:11 AM

Anyone know anything about this monitor? It seems to be almost identical to the 24 inch Samsung for half the cost, and it is a great deal right now.

http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalog/sk...ctId=prod380042

Old 11-10-2007, 03:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I just Bertrand Russell's piece now, and it was good. I'm not sure if this part is accurate but it is scathing:

[ QUOTE ]
You find as you look around the world that every single bit of progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step toward the diminution of war, every step toward better treatment of the colored races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized churches of the world. I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-10-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$5 on my boy schpanko (we're all part of the mile high club in CO) and then I'll think about the EMc match.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're on. I'm taking goof.

[/ QUOTE ]

SICK!!! I'm sure goofy is good, but I gotta bet on anyone from the home state.

[/ QUOTE ]

You better [censored] pull this one out for me goofy.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:17 AM

I've got a few hundred on this as soon as goofy lets me know he's as much of a lock as I think he is.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the suggestions. I just Bertrand Russell's piece now, and it was good. I'm not sure if this part is accurate but it is scathing:

[ QUOTE ]
You find as you look around the world that every single bit of progress in humane feeling, every improvement in the criminal law, every step toward the diminution of war, every step toward better treatment of the colored races, or every mitigation of slavery, every moral progress that there has been in the world, has been consistently opposed by the organized churches of the world. I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah he's vicious; a little hyperbole here and there but he does a pretty good job of backing those kind of claims up.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Clayton, if you don't go see the Black Kids in either Athens or Atlanta next week I will never forgive you

[/ QUOTE ]

wat??

is that an indie band or are you chiding me for not being charitable?

[/ QUOTE ]
the former

http://www.myspace.com/blackkidsrock

[/ QUOTE ]

These guys are pretty awesome, I like the free download too.. Any other relatively unknown bands to suggest?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:10 AM

I won like 5 straight games of Halo against cowpig tonight. Shpanko: YOU'RE NEXT
Old 11-10-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have you read Mere Christianity, Jay? I was just reading this thread in SMP and it was interesting so I'm putting together an amazon cart with Christianity books. I'm a bad atheist since I don't really know anything about religion I just assume it's dumb...need to change that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to believe that something is untrue, then you should at least know what that something is.

Read the bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol is this a joke? you don't need to read the bible to know it's [censored] up. you just need to have a brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

i actually think this is dumb. its pure +EV to believe in God. if there isnt a heaven/hell and ure an athiest, wd great. if there is a heaven/hell and your an athiest, ure [censored]. its just implied odds. granted Christianity may not be the correct religion, and potentially it has to be narrowed down further, but you choose whatever makes the most sense to you.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to believe that something is untrue, then you should at least know what that something is.

Read the bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol is this a joke? you don't need to read the bible to know it's [censored] up. you just need to have a brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

i actually think this is dumb. its pure +EV to believe in God. if there isnt a heaven/hell and ure an athiest, wd great. if there is a heaven/hell and your an athiest, ure [censored]. its just implied odds. granted Christianity may not be the correct religion, and potentially it has to be narrowed down further, but you choose whatever makes the most sense to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there would be a god, I think he would send you to hell anyway for choosing a religion because it's +EV.
Closed Thread