Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Internet Poker

Greetings All, I play home games and some B & Ms every now and then, usually MTTs. I'd like to start playing online for micro stakes. I would like to play SNGs. I a thinking I might go with Bodog cause I like their minimum deposit amount, $20. Can anyone advise on what site to go through and why? How is Bodog? I have been playing freerolls on Absolute and Fulltilt, so I might go with one of them, probably Fulltilt.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Internet Poker

If I were you I'd play at Full Tilt or Pokerstars. Pokerstars was a variety of tournaments at micro stakes, .50 MTT's and $1.25 sit n' go's. You should also check into rakeback (Fulltilt) and signup bonuses before you deposit. I don't know much about Bodog, I played there maybe a year ago and wasn't impressed.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:21 PM

I downloaded poker stars, but I didn't see an area to make a deposit. It seemed like a play chip site only. I didn't look too hard though. Can someone give me an analysis of Full Tilt and Poker Stars? To get a rakeback, you have to play quite often and probaly make a largfe deposit I assume. Is that correct, or can I make a minimum deposit, play micro stakes and still get a rake back?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:32 PM

No rakeback on Stars. You downloaded Pokerstars.net, which is play money. To get the real money site, you must download Pokerstars.COM.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:55 PM

Bodog is fine, and it has SnGs that give beginners alot of room to improve in (i.e. 10 people with top 5 paid).
Old 09-27-2007, 06:00 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

As mentioned, go to Pokerstars.com. The .net site is there to circumvent US advertising laws; the real-money sites can't be advertised on US television.

Also, again, no rakeback on PS, but there is a 100% sign-up bonus up to $50, so if you can deposit that amount, do it.

Rakeback does not depend on what limits you play, though obviously, you are going to earn a lot less with the micros. The percentages are still the same though. Even if the extra money seems unimpressive now, sign up for it anyway; there is no going back if you deposit without it and if you do well and move up you'll be happy you got it. It doesn't depend on the initial deposit either, though the max bonus from Full Tilt is $600, so you want to max that out if you can. Wait on that until you can confidently play 25NL or .5/1 limit at the very least; the bonus would be challenging to clear otherwise.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:10 PM

So do they just allow rakebacks for anyone?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:40 PM

Anybody signing up for a new account is eligible for rakeback at sites where it's available, yes.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:13 PM

Check the rakeback forums. I play at FT and have no complaints. Pokerstars is the biggest so they will probably have the most games and from what I've heard they've always had good support.

With the exception of Pokerstars offering no rakeback I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:48 PM

Right on, FYI, the minimum deposit at Poker stars is $10. My initial deposit will be higher of course, but sometimes adding on in increments of 50 is problem for a poor school teacher.