Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 01:17 AM

Default SamH - Some info on him?

I think too much time is spent talking about guys in the nosebleed games who have no real longevity to speak of... so I wanted to ask about a guy who has been a consistent winner at high stakes games online.

SamH is someone who really interests me. He has been beating the mid-high NL games (10/20 to 25/50 seems to be his normal game) for an extended period of time now. I know hs name is MaxEMus on Ultimatebet. The high stakes players seem to respect his game a lot. He was beating the games pre-UIGEA, and he's seemingly beating the much tougher games now.

So I just wanted some info on him. I think someone like this deserves more recognition than some flavor-of-the-month in online poker.
-Does he post on 2+2?
-How old is he?
-How long has he been beating 10/20+ online?
-Has he ever played the nosebleed games? If not, why has he been content to just stick to the mid-high games that often seem just as tough?

Also, who are some other players in a similar boat to SamH, who have been beating high stakes games online for an extended period of time, but haven't gotten much recognition from the online community?
Old 08-16-2007, 06:18 AM

Default Re: SamH - Some info on him?

he is a cardrunners member. ask tc.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:59 AM

I can vouch for him on his ability. He is a tough tricky opponent that I have played a decent amount with on UB and Stars. You know some people just don't want to get involved in all that nosebleed stuff. It's totally unnecessary. You can make a million bucks a year playing 5/10 and 10/20 if you are good and play a fair amount of hours. And you will never lose more than $30-$40k doing it. The variance is relatively low. As you can see from Sbrugby playing those rediculous games are very dangerous and you are bound to go at least relatively broke before long. Everyone playing those 300/600 games are really just a bunch of financial wannabees if you really think about it. No good business man in their right mind would put that much at risk relative to their worth. Let''s say Sbrugby had 7-8 million. And he is on what a $4 million downswing? No good business man would ever do that on a game where his edge is so small. No guy puts half his wealth at risk on an investment like that. Now Sbrugby is my NL poker hero so don't think I'm bagging on the guy. Everyone can do with their money as they please and if he's comfortable with that kind of risk then more power to him. But my point is that for a consercative investor that wants to play the game he loves and not potentially [censored] up a good thing, playing 10/20 and 25/50 is about all the game anyone should be playing. So in all liklihood Sam H is just a really smart guy. His game is easily good enough to sit whereveer he wants. But he is being smart. Imo no one should be at 300/600 until they have about 20 million in the bank. At least for me that is what I would need before I played that games as my main game.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can vouch for him on his ability. He is a tough tricky opponent that I have played a decent amount with on UB and Stars. You know some people just don't want to get involved in all that nosebleed stuff. It's totally unnecessary. You can make a million bucks a year playing 5/10 and 10/20 if you are good and play a fair amount of hours. And you will never lose more than $30-$40k doing it. The variance is relatively low. As you can see from Sbrugby playing those rediculous games are very dangerous and you are bound to go at least relatively broke before long. Everyone playing those 300/600 games are really just a bunch of financial wannabees if you really think about it. No good business man in their right mind would put that much at risk relative to their worth. Let''s say Sbrugby had 7-8 million. And he is on what a $4 million downswing? No good business man would ever do that on a game where his edge is so small. No guy puts half his wealth at risk on an investment like that. Now Sbrugby is my NL poker hero so don't think I'm bagging on the guy. Everyone can do with their money as they please and if he's comfortable with that kind of risk then more power to him. But my point is that for a consercative investor that wants to play the game he loves and not potentially [censored] up a good thing, playing 10/20 and 25/50 is about all the game anyone should be playing. So in all liklihood Sam H is just a really smart guy. His game is easily good enough to sit whereveer he wants. But he is being smart. Imo no one should be at 300/600 until they have about 20 million in the bank. At least for me that is what I would need before I played that games as my main game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:57 AM

that is kinda my plan, but i have no desire to move past 5/10 NL, the money involved is a litte too scarey, and i would be happy making $250 per hour.

i saw samh in a cardrunners vid, he seemed pretty solid
Old 08-16-2007, 10:26 AM

Leatherass,

Good post, but just understand that people have different motivations. I honestly think wanting to be the best in the world at something is what motivates aba. The money is a nice byproduct and I'm sure it's also a motivating factor, but I think what really drives him is trying to play at and beat the highest stakes games available.

But on the whole, I agree with everything you said and I think you made some fantastic points for anyone who wants to treat poker like a business.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:05 PM

Played against this guy a few times, great hand reader.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:20 PM

sam is a cr guest pro. good guy, from chicago. he worked up the ranks pretty slowly, putting in insane hours while working as a full time accountant. he quit his job and still lives in chicago. he is a very solid player - the kind of guy that never draws attention but just slowly wins the money.

tc
Old 08-16-2007, 12:50 PM

I play with Sam a lot and he is vvvvvvv good
Old 08-16-2007, 12:50 PM

HOw badly was sbrugby beating the lower limits before his bump up? Has anybody ever posted actual numbers for his rise?

edit: and how good is SamH doing? Just want to get a comparison between the two?