Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2006, 10:47 PM

Default Question on a ruling in my WSOP (#8) event

Okay, so yesterday is Day 1 of the #8 event (Omaha 8 or Better) and early on in the tournament I have something like A23x with a suited ace. Flop is something like 944 giving me a (nearly) uncounterfeitable low draw and a nut flush draw, flush hits on turn and low hits on river.

We go to showdown, I declare "nut low, nut flush." Player to my right throws his cards on the table, face up, and declares "trip 4s." Now, he has a 9 in his hand as well for the flopped boat, but he clearly didn't have it as he wasn't betting aggressively and didn't take any of the pot. He pushes his cards to the dealer who procedes to push me the pot and begins shuffle the cards (on the table, not riffling yet).

Now, AFTER I have all the chips stacked up and by me, player 2 seats to my right says "You didn't have trips, you had a full house." I knew he had the full house, but did not say anything as it is not my responsibility, and the dealer missed it. Villian says "No I didn't, I had 49TJ and there was only a 4 on the board" while 2 to my right says "No, there was a 9 on the flop."

Now, this is after I have all the chips in front of me in neat stacks, so this has been a little while after the hand was showndown. Villian obviously wants his chips, but I say "Well I've already raked the pot, it's too late to change now." Dealer calls the floor, who asks the table to confirm or deny the hand and 2 to the right along with 1 other player say yes, there was a 9 on the flop. Naturally I know this is the case so I re-create the betting and give him his chips as per the Floor's request.

My question is: What's the official ruling on this? As I understand it it's the dealer's responsibility to call hands at showdown, and once chips are raked and cards are starting to shuffle it is too late to change anything. Clearly both the player and dealer (and maybe me?) were at fault on this. It was only 200 chips in Level 1, but I was still a little confused as to the Floor's decision.

So what's the deal? This year seems to have had quite a few floor/dealer problems...
Old 07-04-2006, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Question on a ruling in my WSOP (#8) event

If you found a wallet, would you look for the license?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:53 PM

I knew I would get response(s) like this. It is not my job to call the pot. The player called his hand, the dealer pushed me all the chips. The question is about the ruling by floor.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:12 PM

Even if the dealer makes a mistake, the floor can reverse things. The floor was correct.

Ken
Old 07-04-2006, 11:15 PM

If the player properly tabled his hand, he should get the pot. Unless the cards or the board were mucked so that it is impossible to say for certain who won, I think it is completely reasonable to recreate the hand to get the right outcome. Especially in such a high-stakes tournament as this.

Really, you should have let the guy know what he had. Poker players don't have to be jerks.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:34 PM

Just to clarify, at the time this happened all the cards were face-down, after the dealer turned them over.

And I wasn't being a jerk in my mind, I don't think I said anything at that table the entire time other than calling my hands, if he misreads it that's his fault IMO.

I also wonder how many people mucked winners at show down in this event, as I'm sure it happened with some of the players I saw... I swear one guy called out a flush when there were 2 on the board and 3 in his hand... Of course he didn't win anything with that "flush," but...
Old 07-04-2006, 11:36 PM

There's no low draw on 944 anyway; even if that's not the exact hand I'm not sure how you made the same mistake repeatedly when describing the hand throughout the post.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no low draw on 944 anyway; even if that's not the exact hand I'm not sure how you made the same mistake repeatedly when describing the hand throughout the post.

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably meant "backdoor" low draw.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:32 AM

Obviously this is the case...
Old 07-05-2006, 12:41 AM

Right was done, case closed.