Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2006, 04:39 PM

Default How do I analyze my game?

After rather unsuccesful ventures in cash games (playing over my bankroll, not having much of a clue)I started SNG grinding the Party 11's in early april, and I have done fairly well for the first couple of weeks with a ROI of 23%.

Here are some April stats:

Not a huge sample size, but I reckon enough of an indicator that I'm a winning player (who sucks headsup).

Along comes May:

I successfully overcame my first major downswing, appeared to be back on track, only to get stuck again (I'm on a 21 OOTM streak as I post this).

Frankly, I am quite lost. I don't know how to handle this situation properly. How would I go about analyzing my game? How can I make sure I wasn't running hot in april and getting cold decked in may (or vice versa) ? Which stats would best give me an indication about what's wrong with my game?
Old 05-21-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Re: How do I analyze my game?

Well, you don't seem to be winning enough, as you apparently realize. So work on the HU game and that should probably take care of most of your problems.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which stats would best give me an indication about what's wrong with my game?

[/ QUOTE ]

typically we use ROI to indicate how well we are doing at SNGs over a decent sample size. you need to spend time going over your HHs, look for blind levels in PT that youre losing at, post hands and read posts, etc etc, youll quickly find leaks in your game doing this. 21 ootm is one of the less-big downswings that people have experienced on this forum out of all of the bad downswings, it might just be variance, but you also might have some serious leaks. if you have a hand question, post it, but ive also found that i learn a lot more reading posts than posting hands myself (ill make 40+ response posts a day but only start a thread once every couple days). gl.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:54 PM

I guess I wasn't very clear about my question. How would I go about finding out if it's just variance or if I actually played worse?
Old 05-21-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I wasn't very clear about my question. How would I go about finding out if it's just variance or if I actually played worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

again, you have to look at hands. if you get it all in on the bubble with KK and lose to 8 9, this is variance and you cant do anything about that. if you are pushing Ax and arent sure if its a good push and you lose, maybe youre not picking your spots well. essentially, you have to look at hands over the long term and dig and see if it is indeed variance or if youre finding leaks in your game. i do not believe there is a statistical standard for saying "oh crap, ive reached X amount of ootm finishes, maybe its not variance anymore". dont think like that, constantly reevaluate your play. im not sure how better to answer your question.