Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Good movies that aren\'t extremely popular

True Romance. No-one I know seems to have watched this even though it is Tarantino penned.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 PM

Primer- if you like mindfucks
Old 08-03-2007, 12:43 AM

Scum - Ray Winstone as a teenager stars in a brutal, shocking depiction of life in a juvenile prison

Talk Radio - Oliver Stone film from the 80s about a shock jock, very well acted, enjoyable but unsettling

The Proposition - Nick Cave penned story about the harsh realities of the Australian outback, sort of like an Aussie Western

Paris, Texas - Impeccably shot Wim Wenders film about loneliness, heartbreak

The Wicker Man - The original Wicker Man, remake was awful but the original is incredibly fun and tittilating viewing
Old 08-03-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Life of David Gale: Kevin Spacey stars as a death row inmate for the murder of one of his peers of an orginization that protests the death penality located in somewhere in the heart of Texas, I believe Wichita but don't quote me on that. A journalist and her colleague set out 3-4 days before he is scheduled to be executed and interview him on the events preceding his sentence. Lots of very great twists and turns in this movie and I've watched it several times now, definitely reccomend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this movie was very good and had a pretty crazy ending. I also believe it's the only movie that Roger Ebert gave 0 stars.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Life of David Gale: Kevin Spacey stars as a death row inmate for the murder of one of his peers of an orginization that protests the death penality located in somewhere in the heart of Texas, I believe Wichita but don't quote me on that. A journalist and her colleague set out 3-4 days before he is scheduled to be executed and interview him on the events preceding his sentence. Lots of very great twists and turns in this movie and I've watched it several times now, definitely reccomend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this movie was very good and had a pretty crazy ending. I also believe it's the only movie that Roger Ebert gave 0 stars.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not the only one, but it definitely got zero stars.

When Ebert really hates a movie, he can rip into it with hilarious results.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:48 AM

Shallow Grave - from England I believe. Made by the same guys as Trainspotting. I think it is Ewan MacGregors first film.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:58 AM

Aussie - Don's Party
Kiwi - Smash Palace
Canuck - My Life Without Me
Hollywood - Thief
Old 08-03-2007, 02:10 AM

Frailty

Good psychological thriller by Bill Paxton.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:29 AM

Battle Royale

In future Japan, the government capture a class of ninth-grade students and force them to kill each other under the revolutionary "Battle Royale" act.

At dawn of the new millenium, Japan is in a state of collapse. Unemployment stands at 15% with millions out of work. School violence is out of control and rebellious teenagers stage mass boycotts. The beleaguered government retaliates with BATTLE ROYALE.....each year a randomly chosen calss is pitted against itself on an abandoned island in a cruel game of survival.

A boisterous group of 9th graders embark on a school trip. On arrival, they awaken from a drup-induced sleep, to find they have been hijacked to fight this years BATTLE ROYALE. A former teacher, Kitano (Beat Takeshi) will oversee the battle. Each student has been fitted with a necklace that monitors their location. It can also explode on command.

The rules of the game are simple:
* It lasts three days
* Each player starts out with food, water and a "weapon"
* If more than one player survives, everyone dies
* There is no escape

As the roll call begins, each kid grabs a backpack stumbles-away towards death or murder. As the game progresses, terror and panic challenge students' fragile trust in each other. Some suspect everyone, blindly striking down those who cross their paths. Others form alliances dreaming of a peaceful solution with multiple survivors. Despite the games brutality, the adolescent players maintain their school obsessions with crushes, petty grudges and their dreams. But as the game approaches it's shocking final stages, even this semblance of normality disintegrates.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
True Romance. No-one I know seems to have watched this even though it is Tarantino penned.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great movie, but was not completed entirely with the Tarantino script. For almost the entire film, this followed the typical awesome Tarantino formula. Then, at the end, it skews off horribly. If you are a Tarantino fan you can tell the absolute second where the Tarantino script is dismissed. The movie from that point forward is awful. I suggest watching this, and then reading the script if you can find it. The script is so much better.