Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Controversy at the Playboy mansion

I got a nice, reasonable e-mail from Joy. It is apparent she lashed out in anger earlier and has had second thoughts.

It is rough to be attacked by so many people. I would imagine this will all be worked out.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a nice, reasonable e-mail from Joy. It is apparent she realized public opinion is against her and has had second thoughts.

It is rough to be attacked by so many people. I would imagine this will all be worked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an easy thing to work out. She just needs to ship a WSOP buy in to Terrence "Johnny" Chan ASAP.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got a nice, reasonable e-mail from Joy. It is apparent she realized public opinion is against her and has had second thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an easy thing to work out. She just needs to ship a WSOP buy in to Terrence "Johnny" Chan ASAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

She has a history of lashing out. It is only now that she has been called on it that she is *maybe* changing her tune.

If she thinks it's rough to be attacked by others, she should think about how others feel when they are attacked by her.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:08 PM

nfo@simplyeventsla.com <----- email address of Joy's boss

http://www.simplyeventsla.com/ website of where Joy works

Joy Miller's boss -------> Yvette McNally -- President

Yvette's office phone........... 323-291-6700

I think we should all give Yvette a phone call or email and make sure she knows how Joy treats customers and customers of the customers.

Joy's email -----> joyjoy712003@yahoo.com,

Joy's cell phone # -----> 310-621-7005
Old 05-02-2007, 02:20 PM

This is a decent idea but you MUST keep it professional and intelligent in your discourse.

No profranity, no threats, etc.

Those things will be counterproductive.

Just intelligently and logically lay out why the situation was bad, how Chan was slighted, and how Joy has demonstrated herself to be unprofessional.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:52 PM

This is ridiculous. All of this personal information/"call to action" DOES NOT BELONG in a gossip thread.

If you weren't involved directly, you shouldn't be doing a damn thing.

Mods notified.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is ridiculous. All of this personal information/"call to action" DOES NOT BELONG in a gossip thread.

If you weren't involved directly, you shouldn't be doing a damn thing.

Mods notified.

[/ QUOTE ]

About what?

She posted the info, if somebody else had, that would be a no-no, but if she's making it public, it's not our job to police her poor choices.

This thread is teetering along trainwreck territory though. Using 2p2 to call out somebody for screwing somebody is fine, using it to launch a campaign of offensive, stupid emails is another.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:12 PM

My email to Joy :

Joy, I keep hearing one side of a concern about your charity poker tournament at the Playboy Mansion over the weekend.
One quote that I've heard came from you in your explanation was that the concerned party was Terrance Chan not Johnny Chan. Now I'm sure noone in your position would ever say something that unprofessional.
Would you please take the time to explain your side to me.
Thank you very much for your time
Robert

Her resonse :

i've gotten threatening phone calls and very nasty emails all day and i appreciate you taking the time to ask me to explain like a normal person. there is no need for strangers to decide to threaten my life over something so trivial.

the quote was said AFTER Terrence told me that he would "give me a chance to make things right before he was forced to take matters in to his own hands". that was perceived by myself as a threat to bad mouth the event (which it has turned in to anyway), so my response was insinuating that he didn't have the clout of Johnny Chan (which he doesn't, seeing as crazy people are sending me threats about something that doesn't affect them). i wasn't insulting his poker play, simply responding that he shouldn't attempt to extort something from me when he couldn't back his threat up.

i seriously appreciate you asking me directly. i'm not responding to the other emails/phone calls as they are derogatory and trivial. the event raised a lot of money for a non -profit and it's a shame that Terrence felt the need to attempt to exploit my decision in order to get his way.

the shameful thing is if he hadn't blindsided me with posting his business on the web, i probably would have gotten him the seat, as i wanted him to feel satisfied.

p.s. dannenmann and shannon are both donating their seats...ironic, huh?

thank you again for asking me directly, hope this helps alleviate any concerns/issues

Me :

It does help. Thanks for taking the time to explain something to me that you had no obligation to do so.

I have 1 more question and one statement that may or may not apply to you.

Do you mind if I post your response on www.twoplustwo.com ?

I don't have much tact so here it goes : I've honestly never heard of you before and that is no surprise. Only because I don't play in any big tourneys. I live in Memphis and play some online and in Tunica.

But besides this incident there have been people chiming in on 2+2 talking about, basically, how mean you are. Once again I don't know you so I'm certainly not passing judgement. I just wanted to let you know.

I am a manager who oversees about 75 workers. I have a pretty bad rep. The first time I heard how much of a jerk I was blew me away. I honestly thought I was well thought of by the workforce. it turns out I was just so intense I came across as a jerk. I've since chilled out just a tad and now they think I'm decent [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't know why I'm telling you all of this. IIRC I heard you were involved with the WSOP (one of these days I'll make it out for one of the prelims) anyway I hope you have a smooth next couple months. I know it'll be trying with thousands and thousands of peopel in those tourneys.

Take care

Her :

thanks for the advice.

a lot of people think i'm mean, but there are thousands of players each summer and as long as the ones i deal with on a regular basis don't have a problem with me then i can care less. i'm abrupt and don't have the patience to listen to people when it's nonsense. i don't affect the play of the players so anyone who is putting in effort to discuss me, is wasting their time.

i have good friends in poker and as long as i'm not hurting them, i'm neutral about what others say.

on another note, it doesn't help that i'm a woman. i don't read the 2+2 forums because it's a lot of gossip and a lot of speculation and while i get the free speech aspect, i choose not to involve myself in it.

if you feel like defending me...be prepared for the wrath of those that want to pick a fight for no reason ;-)

good luck this summer! If you see a mean little girl walking around-say hi to me ;-)

Anyway after the email exchange with her I thought it was pretty nice for her to explain her side. I also didn't really know how to take the part of her email saying that as long as her poker playing friends were cool with her then she doesn't care about the rest.

I looked at it a couple different ways. One way was that if her poker playing friends thought she was handling herself or situations fine then that would be a good way to guage her actions.

Another way I looked at it was as long as the people she cared about liked her then screw the rest.

I'm pretty sure she meant it the first way. What do you all think?

Edit - This email exchange was 24 hours ago. I havn't read much of the other ones. but I wanted people to know the timeline, if interested.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:26 PM

We are getting way-sidetracked by whether or not we think Joy, Terrence, Annie etc. are nice people or not.

IMO The biggest issue here is still the integrity of the game.

While both Annie and Steve have admitted and apologized to wrong-doing, Joy and the others who run the event are still insisting there was no collusion at all. Shannon Elizabeth who apparently verbally told Steve to fold twice and mouthed it another time not been heard from yet.

Questions that still have never been answered.

#1 - Why won't the tournament organizers admitted there was collusion, when most parties involved have done so.

#2 - If collusion has been admitted, what are they going to do to make it right.

3. Why was Terrence offered the second place prize of a US Open golf package when he was actually third in chips. Isn't offering a split of 1st prize between SE and SD basically admitting a deal was done.

4. Has the prize now been taken away from Terrence? Joy offered to refund his entry which I'm sure is not what Terrence wants?

5. If the prize has been taken away from Terrence, who gets it? Are they not obliged by gambling regulations to give away their posted prizes. They can't reneg on prizes because they don't like the winner.

6. Does the fact that Shannon Elizabeth has just admitted on Cardplayer TV(www.cardplayer.com) that she was able to choose her table moves during the tourney show further favortism in this event for the celebrities(who may or may not have had to pay an entry) vs. non-celebrities.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Her response :

i've gotten threatening phone calls and very nasty emails all day ... there is no need for strangers to decide to threaten my life over something so trivial.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done, 2+2. Well done, mods. Proud as always to be part of such a fine group. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Closed Thread