Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Coaching/Training > Stoxpoker.com
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Stoxtrader is \"In the Well\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stox:

I saw you mentioned pokerEV in your latest blog post.

I (and I'm sure many others) would love to see a pokerEV graph for your last 100k (or whatever sample) of NL, and last 100k of limit.

I'm specifically interested in seeing the swings in equity adjusted winnings, although a lot of the other graphs are interesting as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

everytime i load more than a few days EV crashes on me.

I *think* my variance for LHE was in the high teens and for NL high 40s in terms of std. dev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this SD in pokertracker or pokerEV?

I've wanted to figure out the SD for my pokerEV graph for some time, but no clue how to do it.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:39 AM

Stox,

[ QUOTE ]
I *think* my variance for LHE was in the high teens and for NL high 40s in terms of std. dev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iv'e read in several places (incl' this board) that NL is a lower variance game than limit. The consensus that I've seen seems to rank tournament hold em as the highest variance, followed by limit, and then NL.

Your SD numbers seem to contradict this. Could you expound on that? Do you feel it is due to your agg style of play?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stox,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Iv'e read in several places (incl' this board) that NL is a lower variance game than limit. The consensus that I've seen seems to rank tournament hold em as the highest variance, followed by limit, and then NL.

Your SD numbers seem to contradict this. Could you expound on that? Do you feel it is due to your agg style of play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if his limit winrate is 1ptbb and NL is 3 ptbb, Winrate/Variance is lower for NL. That's what people are referring to.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stox:

I saw you mentioned pokerEV in your latest blog post.

I (and I'm sure many others) would love to see a pokerEV graph for your last 100k (or whatever sample) of NL, and last 100k of limit.

I'm specifically interested in seeing the swings in equity adjusted winnings, although a lot of the other graphs are interesting as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

everytime i load more than a few days EV crashes on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this SD in pokertracker or pokerEV?

I've wanted to figure out the SD for my pokerEV graph for some time, but no clue how to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is from PT and from memory.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stox,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

imsakidd is exactly correct, variance is a function of the relationship between winrate and standard deviation.

both my std. dev. are relatively normal as far as I know.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:37 AM

Stox....

First off...your book has been a great read so far and I have seen some great improvement in my thought process and play.

To follow up on it, you really preach studying pokertracker and have consistantly attributed that to your improvement. Besides just looking at hands you won/lost...What methods do you use to study your stats/hands to look for corrections???
Old 10-18-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stox....
Besides just looking at hands you won/lost...What methods do you use to study your stats/hands to look for corrections???

[/ QUOTE ]

Stox - please elaborate on this. I see this all the time, study PT, blah blah blah. Not just from you but others as well. But in what sense do you study PT. How, what do you look at, what do you compare, what do the stats mean in relation to other stats, how do you put all of it together, is there a routine method you do, do you study PT after every single session or before session or end of week, etc..

Can you go a little deeper on this, details please.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2007, 11:05 AM

Stox if any what where your biggest ah ha moments in limit/NL?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stox....

First off...your book has been a great read so far and I have seen some great improvement in my thought process and play.

To follow up on it, you really preach studying pokertracker and have consistantly attributed that to your improvement. Besides just looking at hands you won/lost...What methods do you use to study your stats/hands to look for corrections???

[/ QUOTE ]

a couple of things -

I use it to get baseline starting hand ranges, to hone in on stealing and defending ranges and to try and learn avg expectation for different situations. If I believe I'm weak in a spot or getting below expectation I will work to improve and try to figure out if it is variance or skill.

I will study my hands inthat spot and look at the hands of other good players in the same spot.

pokertracker stats are good for a high level view and then it becomes looking at hands over and over.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stox....
Besides just looking at hands you won/lost...What methods do you use to study your stats/hands to look for corrections???

[/ QUOTE ]

Stox - please elaborate on this. I see this all the time, study PT, blah blah blah. Not just from you but others as well. But in what sense do you study PT. How, what do you look at, what do you compare, what do the stats mean in relation to other stats, how do you put all of it together, is there a routine method you do, do you study PT after every single session or before session or end of week, etc..

Can you go a little deeper on this, details please.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I just open it up and stare at the general screen.

j/k

really what you are asking here is almost a coaching session. But basically comparing stats/lines/styles between yours, the norm for the limit and the "best" players and trying to make your game as solid as possible.

An example would be playing AKo in the SB SH in NL 3 bet pots. What type of flop play are ppl using? I have seen lindgren c/r AI on a rag board, I used to see lolotricked you call down, etc etc...