Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: TLDR Beer Club

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Skip, what year was your Czar? I've heard that it needs some time before opening and I have a 2006 in the fridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bottled in 2006.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:57 AM

I like the Belgium beer "LEFFE"... (pretty sure it's Belgium). Awesome!

Also Abbaye de Maredous is good.

Last but not least... ANYTHING, ANYTHING, ANYTHING FROM STONE BREWING! The newest release Stone 11th Anniversary Ale... DANG! And Top 3 Favorite- Stone Ruination IPA.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:23 PM

Went to the awesome Foodery store in Philly and picked up an expensive Japanese beer - Hitachino Nest Beer - XH

Hey look - the O-RLY owl!!!

Stock photo - This is a strong Brown ale or even perhaps a barley wine style that is aged in sake casks for 3 months. No head at all, very dark and sweet flavor with a slight bitter aftertaste - could this be the sake coming through? A very unique beer that makes you say "wtf" after the first sip, but grows on you bigtime.

I'm very impressed but at $7 for a 12oz bottle and like most "strong" ales, it's a beer to be enjoyed once in an evening and you really have to be in the mood for it. At least 3.5 to 4 on the scale. Can't wait to try their White Ale.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:11 AM

Huh. I think the section at Beers of the World for Japan only has the various Japanese pale lagers, but I'll look for this brewery next time I'm there. Their white ale was given a great review here. However, at $7/bottle for this one, I would probably skip it. I could get a bottle of St. Bernardus Abt. 12 for less than that, so if I'm going to pay that much, I expect to be blown away by the flavor, or at least knocked on my ass from a higher ABV than 8%.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:53 PM

Can't say I've had anything from Hitachino, but I've heard good things about their newest release, Espresso Stout. I was curious about the XH, though I think in New York it runs for about $4.50-5 a bottle. The Foodery is indeed awesome, but Pennsylvania alcohol laws are definitely not.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:48 PM

Ok - well it's time for another unique beer from Heather Ales Ltd. from Scotland. The Alba Scots Pine Ale. stock photo - (I'll be getting a digi cam soon )

I reviewed the Ebulum Elderberry Black Ale earlier and was very impressed. This brewery rocks. This beer is a triple style based on an old viking recipe. Dark copper color, almost no head, not too much carbonation. Medium heavy body yet very drinkable with a rather strange aftertaste that for me was very, very sweet. Others have mentioned that it is a rather "strange brew". Definitely worth a try and for me a solid [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Around $4.50 and 7.5 ABV

This ain't Bud light folks.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:48 PM

It's been a while since I've done a proper review in here. But, I was back at Beers of the World, and there were several that caught my eye. The first I'll review is Sierra Nevada's Harvest Fresh Hop Ale. It weighs in at 6.2% ABV for a 24 oz bottle that ran me $4.55.

The beer pours a clear reddish brown with a goodly head. It laces my glass nicely. I would have thought this was a slightly stronger beer.

The hop aroma of this beer is good, but the flavor is a bit of a let down. The beer most similar to this one would probably be Arrogant Bastard, and it doesn't live up to that standard. The hops are a little more bitter tasting and not quite as flavorful, and the malt isn't quite as rich and sweet. It's a good beer, I like beers in this style, and it's not a bad price for a single 24 oz bottle, but it's not a best in class. I'll give it a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] rating that's a little on the low side. Maybe I should consider going to quarter heart ratings and give it a 3.25.