Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Colts raffling five Super Bowl rings

Can I buy a raffle ticket online?

Edit: Just checked the Colts website. Can't buy online but you can call ticketmaster and buy. The problem is you have to show up at some silly treasure hunt with a bunch of helpers and blah blah. It's definitely not a traditional raffle.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"The great trouble with baseball today is that most of the players are in the game for the money and that's it, not for the love of it, the excitement of it, the thrill of it."

- Ty Cobb, 1925

[/ QUOTE ]

Baseball was purest in 1890.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:47 AM

Impartial observer, but if the Patriots did this people would be losing their freaking minds right about now.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:48 AM

Bill Belicheck and the Pats would never cheapen the Super Bowl like the scumbag Colts are doing.

Just kidding.

I'm fine with this. One, it's for a great cause. Two, it helps strengthen the bond between fans and teams, which I am all for.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Impartial observer, but if the Patriots did this people would be losing their freaking minds right about now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably true, but the Pats wouldn't be sending the money to charity, they'd be using it to buy better spy equipment.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably true, but the Pats wouldn't be sending the money to charity, they'd be using it to buy better spy equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-31-2007, 11:05 AM

Bill Belicheck has been pre-emptively hiding his signals for years from the satellites...the hoodie.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:08 AM

+1 for I think this is really cool

Illini,
When Mickey Mantle would show up hungover before games did that illustrate disrepect for the game?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
+1 for I think this is really cool

Illini,
When Mickey Mantle would show up hungover before games did that illustrate disrepect for the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Mantle held another job - say an electrician - would he have shown up for work hungover?

I like the Ty Cobb quote, that is pretty cool. As Dynasty said earlier, every generation thinks the next one has a lack of respect or does things for the wrong reasons (as illustrated by the quote). However, I still think there is a correlation between the salary differences and motivations to play baseball or any other sport. To add to this, I think this would be reflected more when even the "stars" of the game got paid close to the avg. salary as well. I don't have time to look it up, but I'm assuming Mantle was well paid for his day.

Basically, my theory is that today, since salaries in professional sports are so huge, even for minimum wages in the major leagues, there is more motivation to play for monetary gain than for "love of the game". This could also be applied to basically any profession too. There are plenty of doctors and lawyers who love what they do, but I think a lot of them become what they are because they chase dollar signs.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:47 PM

I think its a great idea, and devalues the rings the players have zero percent.

If Mickey Mantle was an electrician I'm pretty sure he would show up hungover for that job to. He was an alcoholic.

Also, people questioning the value of winning to professional athletes are off base. If they didn't care why would a grown man cry when he received his ring. If I recall correctly Simmons wrote about this and Rodney Harrison doing this when the Pats held their ring ceremony after the 04 championship, which was months removed from the last game they had played.