Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Good Trade or Fanboyism??

Sorry for the hijack....good trade?

I get Josh Hamilton and Isringhausen for Joe Nathan.

Yahoo head-to-head league w/points for R,HR,RBI,SB,OBP,W,SV,K,ERA,WHIP,K/BB

My other closers are Jenks and Fuentes and my current OF is Vlad, Burrell, Byrnes and Rios.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for the hijack....good trade?

I get Josh Hamilton and Isringhausen for Joe Nathan.

Yahoo head-to-head league w/points for R,HR,RBI,SB,OBP,W,SV,K,ERA,WHIP,K/BB

My other closers are Jenks and Fuentes and my current OF is Vlad, Burrell, Byrnes and Rios.

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrible trade. You wouldn't start Hamilton ahead of any of those 4 OF (maybe Byrnes), and Isringhausen is a mess. Nathan is the best closer in baseball, fantasy or otherwise. Don't make this trade.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Utley's value is greater the smaller the league is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain please.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:54 PM

Example :

14 team league, Difference between Pujols and 14th best 1B is huge, but in a 5 team league difference between Pujols and 5th best 1B is not so much.

For 2B, there isnt much of a dropoff between 5th best and 14th best 2B like there is at other positions, so Utley becomes more valuable relatively in smaller leagues.

VORP, basically.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:01 PM

well I only got 1 (good) reply to my question in my earlier thread, so I'm going to lomp it on here as well:

I've been offered Corey Hart ($1) and Anthony Reyes ($3) for Cole Hamels ($16). this is in a 7x5 league with $3 yearly inflation - I could sign Hart for $4 next year and $7 the year after, for example. I can keep as many guys as I want.

I would replace Hamels with Reyes, and Hart would take the place of Felix Pie, Shane Victorino, or Chris Reitsma, either on my bench or as a often used DH.

if this a good balance of "what's good for me now" vs "what's good for me in 2007/8"? fwiw, I don't think my team is good enough to win my league this year, but I want to stay competitive and am not willing to take a big hit for this year just to be in good position for next.

earlier today I traded Bill Hall ($17) and Joe Crede ($12) for Adrian Beltre ($17) and Stephen Drew ($6) which many in my league took as me quitting...so I'm a bit gun shy.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Example :

14 team league, Difference between Pujols and 14th best 1B is huge, but in a 5 team league difference between Pujols and 5th best 1B is not so much.

For 2B, there isnt much of a dropoff between 5th best and 14th best 2B like there is at other positions, so Utley becomes more valuable relatively in smaller leagues.

VORP, basically.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean marginal utility. Your VORP comment makes little sense.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:22 PM

Zod,

That depends on what you are going to do with the money you free up in this deal. Right now you are freeing up $12 for a new player. Can you benefit from that right now? When the salaries go up next year, it will only be $8 you have freed up. If that money gets you a good player, it now becomes player x / Hart / Reyes for Hamels. If you don't think you can contend this year, and player x / Hart are improvements over what you have, then go for it. Weighing finances in a keeper league is always tough; hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:27 PM

As for OP, two things:

1. Why are you wasting your time in a 5 team league? You all basically have all-star teams. The winner is just going to be the guy who gets lucky and avoids injuries. Given what's available in FA, even that many not matter.

2. Trading Webb for Utley only makes sense if you now deal/release Cano for pitching. Otherwise you have hurt your staff and stacked yourself at a position where you already had a really good player.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You mean marginal utility. Your VORP comment makes little sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

VORP is a measure of marginal utility.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Zod,

That depends on what you are going to do with the money you free up in this deal. Right now you are freeing up $12 for a new player. Can you benefit from that right now? When the salaries go up next year, it will only be $8 you have freed up. If that money gets you a good player, it now becomes player x / Hart / Reyes for Hamels. If you don't think you can contend this year, and player x / Hart are improvements over what you have, then go for it. Weighing finances in a keeper league is always tough; hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

tx. the other thing I didn't mention is that the money I save will not help me at all this year. our draft cap was $250, but our in season cap is $325, so I don't need to save the money. the idea is more that I can hopefully lock up Hart for $4 and $7 for 2 years after this, and Reyes probably for $5 next year. when their true/open market values (hopefully) are higher than that. this means I have more to so spend on fewer positions next year.

the trick as you say is that I don't want to take a big hit this year, and hoping that I actually AM getting a sweet deal by having Hart for $4 and Reyes for $5 next year. if these end up being what I could have bid on them next year, the deal is a bust. if either of them turns into a $20 player, it probably worked out great for me. is that right?