Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Overpair garbage bla bla sunday mill

was joking, dave suggested ignoring the possibility of a set
Old 08-15-2007, 04:09 AM

As is often the case, NoahSD has shown up to give some thoughtful yet concise advice and give what, when i think about it, is likely the right answer.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As is often the case, NoahSD has shown up to give some thoughtful yet concise advice and give what, when i think about it, is likely the right answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's only one internet connection in this room, so i used it all day in an attempt to dethrone him as MTT smart guy
Old 08-15-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
haha who the [censored] says you can't pinpoint a villains range that much? lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Unknown villian raised me a bunch of times PF, must be AA. I fold KK.

I'll keep that in mind if I end up at your table. Also, the FAQ must be wrong.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:31 PM

Anksy if you can fold KK preflop 75 bbs deep, then you can fold here. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 08-15-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah so it's a pretty easy shove if you discount sets, I'll have to try that more often

also my question wasn't at all vague, and you didn't even really answer it. WA/WB stands for way ahead/way behind, right? that's not an answer for what you should do on the flop (nor, of course, is it remotely true)
you said it was what line you would take, which makes no sense.
the problem with your long posts is that they contradict themselves (such as saying he could have a flush draw but that you are WA/WB).

[/ QUOTE ]

This forum got so much more ADD while I was gone.

I explicitly say at least once that WA/WB was a consideration for the turn play forward. I said my slightly preferred line was to shove turn. I just hate the idea of folding because we're afriad of 3 hands, especially when we're ahead of at least twice as many others.

For the record, what would be the ideal action from villian here that we would like and not fold to? If he just check/calls down?

Also, I didn't say ignore the possibility of a set, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned them in my other posts right? I said that I don't play scared of them. Villians can always have sets, I just mean you can't be afraid of seeing one every time villian puts up a fight.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:41 PM

what do you mean you don't play scared of them?

Without a doubt, 4 of his most likely hands here are 33 55 66 and 45. In fact they are as likely as any other hands, prob the most likely 4 hands.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you mean you don't play scared of them?

Without a doubt, 4 of his most likely hands here are 33 55 66 and 45. In fact they are as likely as any other hands, prob the most likely 4 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a nit, but we're still ahead of 55, you mean 22.

My point is that villians can always outflop us, just because they put up a fight doesn't mean they always have.

77, 88, TT are overpairs on that board on the flop. Villian might think he's ahead (and I don't know if I blame him given your flop call) of AK/AQ or other overcards that missed. He might even think 55 is good here.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:53 PM

I actually used the same wording as you, so yes you did say you "discount a set because [you] never played scared of sets"

there are no hard and fast rules in poker and it's ok to fold if it's really likely they have a set, even if you have ZOMG an overpair

and wa/wb is not an action you can take, it's a description of the polarization of your opponents range.

I'm sorry you hate the idea of folding, but since it's blatantly -EV, maybe you should warm up to it.

ADD ADD I HAVE ADD

oh and yes, ansky is correct (sorta), if you label '33' as a hand the same way 'A9s' is a hand, then the three set combos and 45 are the 4 most common hands he will show up with. He might show up with a flush draw slightly more than those hands (and thats not a contradiction), but that doesn't mean you should call him down because that would be retarded.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:56 PM

dave, seriously, how often do you think a good player (or even a bad player) raises 77, 88, TT on this flop AND bet the turn? the flop call does not imply in any way that those hands are good, and even if it did he still would not bet them on the turn.