Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2006, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Albert Pujols

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this issue has something to do with baseball, but has much more to do with human psychology and emotion

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on! Most of the posters here are young. Those of us with a wealth of "life experience" know there are good situations and bad situations. A good working environment and "team approach" is what is critical. Everyone working as a unit towards a goal. It's a great feeling and everyone does their part. Nothing succeeds like success. And the proper mental attitude accross the board is required for that success. I believe it all starts with management and filters down. Those of us who have worked several jobs over the year will know what I am talking about. In a bad organization there is an us versus them mentality. In a good organization everyone is happy and contributing towards the goal all the while having an enjoyable time (and consequently succeeding). I can pretty much guarantee if Jerry Manual were still managing the White Sox last season they don't even sniff the playoffs. I also feel strongly that Jim Leyland has been instrumental in the Tigers breakout this season. Players play and get paid exorbitant fees win or lose. You can clearly see some teams just go through the motions while others rise above the fray. This is generally not reflecting in any other statistic than WINS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Baseball is basically a series of individual events, it's not like, say maybe football, where teamwork matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

DING DING DING!!!!

PERFECT!

ill take an [censored] who hits .320/.450/.600 over a guy who vists sicks kids and shows the ropes to rookies while batting .300/.425/.575, every single day of the week.

all things being equal, i prefer the nice guy. however any edge in performance is more important that how the guy gets along with others, especially in baseball, the least emotion-driven major sport (by far).
Old 05-21-2006, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this issue has something to do with baseball, but has much more to do with human psychology and emotion

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on! Most of the posters here are young. Those of us with a wealth of "life experience" know there are good situations and bad situations. A good working environment and "team approach" is what is critical. Everyone working as a unit towards a goal. It's a great feeling and everyone does their part. Nothing succeeds like success. And the proper mental attitude accross the board is required for that success. I believe it all starts with management and filters down. Those of us who have worked several jobs over the year will know what I am talking about. In a bad organization there is an us versus them mentality. In a good organization everyone is happy and contributing towards the goal all the while having an enjoyable time (and consequently succeeding). I can pretty much guarantee if Jerry Manual were still managing the White Sox last season they don't even sniff the playoffs. I also feel strongly that Jim Leyland has been instrumental in the Tigers breakout this season. Players play and get paid exorbitant fees win or lose. You can clearly see some teams just go through the motions while others rise above the fray. This is generally not reflecting in any other statistic than WINS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Baseball is basically a series of individual events, it's not like, say maybe football, where teamwork matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

DING DING DING!!!!

PERFECT!

ill take an [censored] who hits .320/.450/.600 over a guy who vists sicks kids and shows the ropes to rookies while batting .300/.425/.575, every single day of the week.

all things being equal, i prefer the nice guy. however any edge in performance is more important that how the guy gets along with others, especially in baseball, the least emotion-driven major sport (by far).

[/ QUOTE ]

50 points in OPS is significant.

What about if the nice guy is 425/575 and the ahole is 426/576. I'm taking the nice guy.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

50 points in OPS is significant.

What about if the nice guy is 425/575 and the ahole is 426/576. I'm taking the nice guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably taking the nice guy too, but that's purely because the added marketability of the nice guy outweighs the minor performance increase of the ahole, not because the team would play better. Not to mention, one point is certainly within the accuracy of any projection going forward, so for all intents and purposes they are the same player.