Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2007, 04:55 AM

Default ReStarting Strength. Need program design help

Hay guys.

I've been getting less fat for about a month now, and I want to start working out again. I want to do a routine very similar to starting strength, but without the squats for now. I can't really do deep knee bending type movements, but I think I can do deadlifts alright.

I pm'ed TimM and he said that going hard three days a week on deadlifts might be too much stress on my back and I won't be leaving enough time to recover. Apparently the spinal erectors don't recover very quickly. Perhaps I could do a heavy-light-medium thingie with just the deadlifts or maybe even heavy/nothing/heavy scheme? I'm not sure how I should arrange the set/rep schemes for each day.

One thing I can do is static holds in deep knee bend positions, such as wall sits, so I suppose I could hold some dumbells or just try to sit longer. Wall sits are actually a part of my rehab program. I was also looking at some leg work and I think pull through's could also be added to my program somehow.

So I was thinking it could go something like this:
Monday
deadlifts: 1 or 3 x 5?
Bench press: 3x5
dips: 3x5

Wednesday
deadlifts: lighter weight compared to my 1RM (it's somewhere in the low 200's), not sure about the set/rep scheme. I also could NOT do them on this day altogether to give the back a rest.
military press: 3x5
pendlay rows: 3x5
pullups/chinups ?
(I can probably do 1-3 BW chinups right now, but I also have access to one of those pullup machines where it supports your body a bit)

Friday
deadlifts: somewhere between light and medium
bench press: 3x5
dips: 3x5

Please critique or adjust my program, I really need it and don't know enough to work around the squat issue on my own.