Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Half the table to the flop w AK, flopped ace played weak, this ok?

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't really bad.

c/f is certainly infinitely better than bet/call

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Getting way too excited about TPTK on this flop is definitally asking for trouble.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
i was thinking the same thing. For all you people who would never fold AK here, expect to get shown 2 pair a LOT, especially in a 5 way pot
Old 07-11-2007, 02:09 PM

So then the optimal play here is check/call again? (As in it has been for alot of the hands posted lately)
Old 07-11-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For all you people who would never fold AK here, expect to get shown 2 pair a LOT, especially in a 5 way pot

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not in terrible shape against AT or JT (two of the three possible two-pair hands) and there's alot of money in the pot. I think we're 65-35 or 60-40 against each, respectively.

Now, I'm not saying we go looking for spots to get it as 60-40 dogs, but given that our villains could have such a wide range here and the pot is big, I can't see check/folding being correct here. Check/calling is maybe not terrible -- but I sure do hate letting another card fall cheaply in this spot if everyone checks behind us.

Again, why are we assuming the first level of a 4/180 is full of guys who only get it in with a monster on the flop? There are only a couple of really bad hands that crush here in this spot (KQ, TT; AJ isn't great either) and a whole host of others that your typical 4/180 player will jam with here that we'd love to get it in against or would be a big mistake to laydown to if they turned it face up.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:25 PM

you must bet the flop, you have to see where you are and thin the herd. This is too sick.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you have to see where you are and thin the herd.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

no
Old 07-11-2007, 06:15 PM

I'm glad to see some passive lines suggested, too often strategy posts have been "push" "all-in" "raise" pretty much regardless of the situation. That being said, the pot is already so big it's gonna be tough to get away from our hand. I mean if the turn is the 2c, and button pushes, are we folding? Turn is going to be hard to get away from, I think it may be a fold, but it's really close. This is just a tough hand because the pot is already so big, there's just no room to maneuver.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad to see some passive lines suggested, too often strategy posts have been "push" "all-in" "raise" pretty much regardless of the situation. That being said, the pot is already so big it's gonna be tough to get away from our hand. I mean if the turn is the 2c, and button pushes, are we folding? Turn is going to be hard to get away from, I think it may be a fold, but it's really close. This is just a tough hand because the pot is already so big, there's just no room to maneuver.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably fold if the turn is a card that isn't helpful and someone shoves. The whole point of check/calling on this flop is to get information about where we are in the hand. We can check again on the turn.

You (meaning me/anyone in general) have to think about things from your opponents' perspective(s). Would he keep betting a weak/marginal hand on the turn if two people called his flop bet on this scary board? Would you? If he has any sense at all he wouldn't. Which is fantastic for us because then we know where our hand stands by the turn. If one villain fires another big bet and the other calls on the turn, we can very confidently fold our hand. And what did it cost us? t200. That's it. That's all it cost us to find out if we are ahead. Sure we had to give up a free card or two if they check behind, but this is a dangerous board and we should be treading lightly. Unless we have a monster.

Summary: This is a scary board for everyone involved. On scary boards, people tend to play carefully unless they have a big hand. We can find out (relatively cheaply) where our hand ranks (it might still be best) by watching how aggressively everyone else wants to play it. If they are getting aggressive at it, it is fairly safe to assume our hand is no good. If they get passive, we can more readily assume our hand might be good.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you! jesus, i thought i was taking crazy pills after reading the first page.

it's seriously not that bad. overly weaktight, but i think the people who are loling at this but then saying they bet/call are the ones who should be laughed at
Old 07-11-2007, 07:38 PM

I don't mind the flop check, but once button puts in that weak bet and gets a call then I'm pushing. At that point there is 960 in the pot. Go get it!