Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 11:49 PM

Default video card says it is too hot

I have a Dell dimention 8400 and an nvidia 256MB geforce 6800 video card. When I have a lot going on with multitabling, I am getting an error message that says the video card is getting too hot and the video output may suffer. If I keep going it eventually shuts off. I let it cool but it keeps happening. I don't want to fry it obviously.

When I open the unit up it looks like the fan is running okay. I am pretty computer noobish so any help appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Re: video card says it is too hot

Are you talking about the case fan or your video card fan? When was the last time you cleaned the dust out of your case?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about the case fan or your video card fan? When was the last time you cleaned the dust out of your case?

[/ QUOTE ]

I cleaned the dust out the first time it happened. I wasn't aware there are two fans. There is a little fan across from the video card that I can see. I can't see another fan although it seems like there is one at the top enclosed in a box of some sort. How do I confirm this is working?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
one at the top enclosed in a box of some sort

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the fan to your power supply (the thing that gets connected to an outlet in your wall).

A faulty power supply fan would not be the primary source of problems for an overheating video card.

Are you using nvidia's drivers to warn you when your card gets too hot? If you are, or you have no idea if you are, do this:

Right Click Desktop -> Properties -> Settings -> Advanced
Choose your video card from the tab on top.
It should load up a little menu to the left.
Goto tempurate settings.

Do you have the this checked "Notify when GPU core temps exceeds threshold"? What's the current temp -- and what is the core slowdown threshold (if available)?

It's not uncommon for a video card to hit near 60C even running idle if your ambient room temp is hot. I would find it near impossible for your card to hit 130C though (which is what the default slowdown threshold is set at).