Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: 1 Rebuy, 1 add on question

In this archived thread Greg Raymer explains why you should pretty much always take the add-on, unless very unusual structures are applied.

I haven't seen it personally, but people used to refer to another Fossilman post where he argues for, that the only time you shouldn't add-on is when you already have a money stack, i.e. a situation where

[total amount of chips in play]/[your stack] < number of spots paid.

If anyone has the energy to find that particular post I'd be delighted to read it.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:14 PM

wow, there was alot of non-Fossilman stupid in that thread...
Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 PM

I'm not sure I agree with Raymer, as he is quoting a value per chip, and that should be the determining factor for buying more chips. But even though the "per chip" cost of a re-buy or add-on may remain the same or even be a better deal than the initial buy in, I think it there needs to be consideration of the fact that with each passing level of a tournament, the blinds and antes are increasing, thus making the value of chips worth less in the tournament.

To me, it seems like in most re-buy add-ons you are getting a starting number of chips, and then the rebuys and or add-ons are typically about the same price and give you the same chips as an add on. As the tournament progresses, each rebuy or add on are becoming less and less value. The idea that you buy 1,000 chips and then "earned" your way to 10,000, so buying another 1,000 at the add-on is the same idea is crazy. That 1,000 you are adding at the add-on period will always be worth less (blinds often 5-10 times higher typically at this time in the tourney), but you are paying the same out of pocket price as the beginning of tournament to receive significantly less M.

What I most definitely agree with Raymer is that bankroll management is key. You have to be willing to maximize your potential buy re-buying and adding on as much as necessary. If your only goal is to outright win the tournament then it also makes sense to re-buy and add-on every possible time. I just don't think it is ALWAYS the most positive EV move in terms of maximizing your bankroll's bottom line.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Interested in some replies here myself. I always take the rebuy right away, might make an exception if noone else at my table is doing it. Only want the double stack to maximize value if I bust someone, and if all they got is the original buy in then well..

EDIT: And like Badger wrote - always add on. I just donīt understand these people who refuse to add on and of course all the ones who bust during 1st hour and just quit. Not even a single rebuy?! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is flawed since you can't rebuy later on if you have more than your starting stack. So if you bust someone instead of having 4500 chips you have 3k.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true, and so obvious. Hadnīt thought of it though. But in my own defense I had only played in 2-3 of these. Will always make the rebuy right away from now on.