Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 01:17 AM

Default Re: ***Official 2006 NLCS Cards v. Mets Thread***

I'm still trying to figure out how hitters don't single Jamie Moyer to death
Old 10-13-2006, 03:08 AM

WTF, Larussa sucks. My god, you are down two in the 8th inning and you ph with Miles and JRod. Dumb. Also, would've loved to see Duncan come in for Wilson with 2 outs in the 8th.

Weaver looked good. If it wasn't for that clunker that LoDuca hit through the left side we'd all be raving how great Weaver's shutout was.

Hopefully, next game the Cardinals can learn not hit line drives directly at Mets.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But, don't you have to say Glavine stepped up in those situations? The Cardinals did not score a run.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was more a matter of the good defensive plays and the Cards running themselves out of innings. I really didn't feel that Glavine stepped up in those situations, in fact, when he had runners on base he really started to struggle but was fortunate enough to get a couple double plays from his defense.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:27 AM

First of all, it was a catch. And second, Glavine was quite good.

There were one or two innings where he fell behind a couple of batters, but there were more innnings where he was constantly ahead of them. Even had a couple of those line outs fallen for hits, he very likely would not have given up more than a couple of runs, which is still all one can reasonably expect.

I don't think many other Cards' fans are looking forward to seeing Glavine again.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:11 AM

Wynton, you were at the game, right?

Here's sort of a side rant: why the [censored] do we (TV viewers) not get the high-center camera for every single pitch of the game? Its so much better than the traditional angle. You can see exactly where the ball is over the plate, you can see movement on pitches much better, everything. Its superior in every way. Why on earth would they not use it all the time? Who would object to that?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:14 AM

I wasn't at last night's game, but will be there tonight (and I expect to be quite cold).

I totally agree about the camera angle thing.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:56 PM

a loss is a loss, but i'm really disappointed at the spin that's been applied on this game: weaver is as weaver does, glavine pitched a masterpiece, etc. weaver kicked ass for most of the game. glavine, while obviously a better pitcher, was not having a clearly better night. walks, getting behind on counts, needed some key double plays, etc. the announcers were so quick to jump on weaver after the homer, and even though the box score says shutout i don't see how fans from either side who were watching every inning could say it was "shutout pitching".

if everyone were playing the same as they did last night, i would honestly (and surprisingly) expect the cards to win 7 games if it were repeated 10 times.

i don't like rolen coming back at all, but i can understand it. but goddamn, why is he not batting 7th?

i think chavez's catch was a catch, and would have been somewhat standard if he got a regular jump on the ball. he was hanging out for a while after it was hit.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:06 PM

Astro,

McCarver is an idiot. The announcers should have given Weaver alot more credit then he got.

Anyway, Glavine was frequently behind in counts. He does this often. He nibbles at the corners and he gets his strikes. I actually think Glavine has more of an advantage when he gets hitters deep into the count. He did not pitch a "masterpiece". But he pitched extremely well. He threw 89 pitches in 7 innings. That's pretty good. He also fooled Pujols on a few breaking balls. That is something that is hard to do. And I don't think he gets away with it again in Game 5.

Also, there is no way that Fox's radar gun was right. I think they added like 3-5 MPH to every pitch so that they could flash that annoying yellow pitch speed graphic at the top of the screen all night. I loathe watching sports on Fox. Remember the "glow-puck" that shot fire out of it's ass on slapshots. Good times.

...can't wait for tonight.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:21 PM

wrt to Chavez's catch, I just watched it on TiVO again a few times. If it was football, that'd be an incomplete pass. I'm 100% convinced. I don't know if the ball can be trapped in a fielder's glove and still be a catch in baseball, though, so maybe it was really a legal catch.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:22 PM

glavine himself agreed with a gushing interviewer that he was at the top of his game. i didn't see it that way.

on mlb.com's video it has "glavine hurls gem": pujols strikeout (fair enough), eckstein with a hard liner to the shortstop (wtf?), weaver striking out (wtf?!), routine popup for belliard (wtf). that's the entire reel to go with that title. they give weaver some credit, but it's not just mccarver - people are being REALLY results-oriented.

oh well, i should see it as better to be especially underestimated. i hope the mets expect to lose the game tonight and then steamroll us.