Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-21-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Astronomy for kids

I took a group of 15 kids out last week to check out the stars. I know my way around pretty well and set it up so that Jupiter was still up and the moon was 3-4 days old. I have a 10" Dobsonian and between these two objects and the associated chaos of the kids that was a solid start. I also brought 3 pair of binoculars and a guide to the Cassiopia area but that required too much of my time to oversee and degenerated quickly to idle binocular use. My last telescope object was Alberio in Cygnus, a striking double, but not too impressive to a nine YO.

I'll likely try this again in March and the list of objects gets a lot better. Saturn, M42, maybe Mars. In binocs M36, 37 & 38, M45, Hyades.

What do you know? Where would you point your scope to grab a 10 YO's imagination?
Old 11-21-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Astronomy for kids

saturn all the way, thats what did it for me as a kid
Old 11-21-2007, 04:11 PM

I think something as simple as looking at the moon is amazing to a 10 yr old. It's amazing to me! Spotting the rings on Saturn is always a thrill too.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:38 PM

I have nothing to add but I think that's a really cool activity.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
saturn all the way, thats what did it for me as a kid

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2007, 09:32 PM

You should have had them look at comet Holmes. A week or two ago it could still be seen with the naked eye if your skies were dark enough, and easily with binoculars. It is much dimmer now, but you can still see it with binoculars, and with a telescope you can see the tail. See www.skyandtelescope.com for more information.

If you saw Jupiter, you must have been looking low in the sky just after sunset as it sets shortly after that. After midnight, Mars and Saturn rise high in the sky, and in the early morning Venus rises as the brightest object in the night sky except for the moon.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where would you point your scope to grab a 10 YO's imagination?

[/ QUOTE ]

obv a window with a woman changing clothes behind it
Old 11-22-2007, 01:56 AM

Yeah, Saturn and Jupiter are the ones that really blew me away when I saw them through a scope. M13 is also a good one for the spring, though I think that's best visible in May-June rather than March.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have had them look at comet Holmes. A week or two ago it could still be seen with the naked eye if your skies were dark enough, and easily with binoculars. It is much dimmer now, but you can still see it with binoculars, and with a telescope you can see the tail. See www.skyandtelescope.com for more information.

If you saw Jupiter, you must have been looking low in the sky just after sunset as it sets shortly after that. After midnight, Mars and Saturn rise high in the sky, and in the early morning Venus rises as the brightest object in the night sky except for the moon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you mention this comet. I saw it this AM naked eye and I didn't know it was news. Luckily I had my field guide and it showed nothing there so I 'discovered' my first comet.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Saturn and Jupiter are the ones that really blew me away when I saw them through a scope. M13 is also a good one for the spring, though I think that's best visible in May-June rather than March.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, M13 is a summer object. It's also the only globular cluster I can find.