Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 11-19-2007, 05:35 AM

Default Full Ring Mods comment: Time for a split?

okay, every month we get this, so maybe it's time to discuss it as a group. I'm not raising it because I feel strongly about it, but because it's constantly being pushed for by a core of users.

My opinion: In favour of splitting in two, probably at nl100 and above, but (a) I don't feel that strongly on it and am fine with it staying as is, and
(b) not sure if nl100 is the best split point, nl200 might be better.

I personally am happy to mod both or either. I play from nl25 up to nl200, depending on mood/reasons (eg I often use nl25 for testing ideas/strategies).

If we want new mods for the lower one, Phydaux or Mike Kelly seem good choices. New mods for higher - no one springs to mind. Having said that, don't think we need any new mods, and we can parcel it out among us (or just we all mod both forums).

Any thoughts?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Full Ring Mods comment: Time for a split?

seems reasonable. same mods modding both fora would make the most sense to.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:34 AM

we have been using the FRnl forums asa the defacto live NL forums for 2/5 and lower, a split only assumes the players are playing online - this might further alienates live full ring players.

Also how do you think it would affect forum traffic? Just because its something that the people ask for doesn't mean they would like the results - keep that in mind. The end user usually see the big picture.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:33 PM

This is where Sniper's numbers would be useful.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:35 PM

CMAR did some counts last time we discussed this (or maybe the time before) to suggest it probably wasn't a good idea.

But frankly, we just usually discuss it by PM, but I thought it was worth doing in here this time.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how? His research couldn't predict how people could migrate - am I missing something?
Old 11-19-2007, 01:53 PM

Ah Sniper. I miss that guy and wonder what happened to him. cabn PMed me that Sniper goes good with chianti. Any clue what I am supposed to make of this information? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2007, 02:36 PM

Plese don't turn this into a Sniper thread.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really agree. While it doesnt provide a perfect predictor, it does give us a good sense of forum traffic growth. It was growing really well prior to his departure, but I honestly think that growth has stagnated. I could be wrong, but that's my impression. I'm not sure if the admins have this data, or could drum it up.

As mentioned, that doesn't necessarily predict how splitting the forums would ultimately work out. Other mods have indicated (when we've discussed this previously) that it actually enhanced turnout b/c players felt more comfortable posting (in terms of micro/low stakes) hands or felt they could get quality resonses (in terms of high stakes hands).

That said, the last figures I saw, we were running well below where uNL and SSNL were at before they split. Not that is necessarily a prereq or anything. What was the MTT split like?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah Sniper. I miss that guy and wonder what happened to him. cabn PMed me that Sniper goes good with chianti. Any clue what I am supposed to make of this information? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

get some fava beans and find out.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how? His research couldn't predict how people could migrate - am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it wasn't a predictor, just a simple comparison of the viewing statistic available on the main page.

FRNL is a solid performer when compared to strat forums as a whole. However, it is still easily the smallest No Limit forum.

As I write this:

High Stakes (99 viewing)
Medium Stakes (100 viewing)
Small Stakes (121 viewing)
Micro Stakes (65 viewing)
Full Ring (51 viewing)

Obv this is not the best metric to use and it is very flawed but I think it gives us a reasonable ballpark.

I'm sure FRNL will inevitably be split my worry is that doing so prematurely will result in two small forums that won't have the critical mass required to remain vibrant.

The push for splitting the forum mostly comes from small stakes players who feel cooler hanging with mid-stakes players than micro-stakes players.

The complaint is that there are too many threads of various levels to keep up with. However, I think this is a straw man as the reality is that we're averaging less than 50 new threads a day.

In addition, the claim is made that splitting the forum will cause a migration of players over from MSNL/HSNL who have not wanted to sully themselves by associating with the great unwashed. I find that a dubious claim, at best.

The reason small stakes and micro stakes full ring players flocked to FRNL is that they were such a small minority in SSNL/uNL and very marginalized. If full ring players do not feel that way in MSNL/HSNL there's very little impetus for them to switch. At least not for a very long time until the full ring forum(s) establish themselves as an attractive alternative.