Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: FR Theory: Random thoughts on different stack sizes and playing th

[ QUOTE ]
off-topic,

I've been thinking of an experiment
great shortstackers pretty much uniformly claim how unique and valuable their information is. Thus, they haven't posted any of it. I know about 80% of it from quite a bit of success shortstacking myself. One could apply themselves and in a month have a 5 figure per month income working 35 hour weeks. However, this might destroy the poker games that regular full-stackies depend on.

I'm thinking about just posting guidelines, charts, hand histories and everything I have on shortstacking to see if the info really is that valuable.

If it is that valuable, I expect someone to buy me off before I post it all.

</delusionsofgrandeur>

[/ QUOTE ]

lol why would anyone pay you off? There are dozens of others who could post the same thing. Hell, anyone making 2+ ptbb/100 shortstacking could probably do the same.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:45 PM

yes, I have thought of that

anyway, posed the question in about the forums
Old 11-09-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
200BB+: Bad news for big cards - you're playing them for set value mostly, and won't get action back the times you hit your set unless someone is drawing to a set-beating hand. Almost, ATC can be called profitably here by good postflop players, as they got odds to flop 2 pair or trips

[/ QUOTE ]

so everytime you flop trips/2pair and there is an A, K, Q on the board you c/f? the times you put in a ton when basically no equity really hurt

and well you don't flop 2pr+ that often

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking, because the 'bigness' of the cards is somewhat diminished but the 'pairedness' holds up, it makes sense for deep players to raise any pair early when everyone's deep (along with other hands). So the flop becomes trickier for everyone.

I'd love someone who has played a lot of 200BB+ hands to chime in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

the main point I was trying to get at is, that AA is always the strongest hand in NLHE no matter the stacksizes

if you take JT, on all boards with JTxxx AA is only 68.5/31.5 underdog, and JT is a huge dog to flop 2pair

you probably won't consistently get 200bb in on a JJx board, you hit 50/1 longshot boards and are only 6/1 favorites, while the vast majority of boards you are under 30% equity

33 on all 3xxxx boards possible is a 81/19fav but again its 7.5/1 against on getting a set or better
Old 11-09-2007, 05:54 PM

"To this end, I think a player who really wants to develop a good game sould fit in his schedule sessions playing 20BB and 40BB deep and 60BB deep."

For my last 70k hands I have been buying in for the 40bb default at FT. If I drop to 20bb then I rebuy to 40bb and if I get 150bb+ or whatever I stay and play that stack. So when I'm running good and my opponents are stuck I will be playing a more "complicated" game. And when every CB gets called or raised when I have nothing then my stack will dwindle to the 20-30bb range where I will be playing a less "complicated" game. Then it's just about cards, so if some LAG tries to push me around at that point he will be doomed.

And right out the gate I am playing a pretty easy stack size which is good since I don't immediately have a feel for the table.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:29 PM

Yes, I've tried buying in at 40bb too, but when I double up, to 70 or 80, I feel like I'm playing the equivalent of a 100bb game but leaving money on the table, so I usually buy in the rest to be happier about it.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:31 PM

I've played 20bb, 40bb, 60bb, and 100bb stacks.

I think playing the various sizes have helped my game quite a bit.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played 20bb, 40bb, 60bb, and 100bb stacks.

I think playing the various sizes have helped my game quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. Please add anything about the different levels that you think I missed or misrepresented.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Or, for example, there's ranges of hands you can always profitably push against a lone player if you're 20BB or less that are mathematically impossible to beat long-term: some good SSers would know this range

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by this...couldn't the opponents only play against you when there range was smaller than yours. Since you are committed on most flops, they would get paid off alot.

Say you raise 5BB pf and then the small stack basically has to shove on the flop don't they? The pot is 10bb and the small stack only has 15BB left.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:08 AM

He's referring to the Sklansky/Chubakov numbers, I believe. They're in NLHETAP.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or, for example, there's ranges of hands you can always profitably push against a lone player if you're 20BB or less that are mathematically impossible to beat long-term: some good SSers would know this range

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by this...couldn't the opponents only play against you when there range was smaller than yours. Since you are committed on most flops, they would get paid off alot.

Say you raise 5BB pf and then the small stack basically has to shove on the flop don't they? The pot is 10bb and the small stack only has 15BB left.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm nit sure what you are saying exactly, but shortstacking well is +EV no matter what you do.