Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: And good web sites for kids? 12 years old and less.

[ QUOTE ]
Diebitter,

We have had many talks with them about safety on the internet, like what information they should not disclose and what they should tell us about. But aside from those talks, we essentially leave them unmonitored on that site (except for us occasionally looking over their shoulders).

I'm sure some would think we're too lax, but I'm pretty comfortable with this approach.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I like it, but I need to get some backgrounding on what to cover in such a talk. I can work most of it out myself of course, I just want to make sure it's comprehensive.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:59 PM

I doubt I can come up with anything you haven't heard.

We're mostly concerned with divulging information. So, no providing any contact information, or even real name, without permission. (They've never wanted to so far, as far as I know.) Certainly, they are not allowed to meet anyone in person whom they find anywhere on the internet. That particular site itself does have some kind of monitoring in place, I think, because it caters to kids. It's also fairly huge. I've often wondered how many people here are aware of it.

Honestly, when they first started looking at it several years ago, I did some research and felt comfortable. At this point, though, I don't even remember what I learned.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:00 PM

my 4 y.o. sister loves noggin.com
Old 11-09-2007, 01:16 PM

Just out of curiosity, I just checked Runescape home page. They claim that there are 156,776 players currently playing.

And they have a parent's guide here.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:02 PM

Here is a site that anyone with kids on the internet should check out.
NetSmartz
The site has information for Parents, teachers, Teens and kids. Go over the information and have the kids go over the things that apply to them. As anyone on this forum should know the internet is a great place and a sewer at the same time.

I have done presentations and been to quite a few lectures on Child safety on the internet and some of the stuff I have seen and learned about makes my stomach turn. The internet is a shopping mall for pedophiles. That is not to say that there are not a ton of good things out there for kids but safety needs to be stressed. The last lecture I went to on Internet safety for kids had an old statistic that 1 in 5 children on the internet had been propositioned by someone to do something they shouldn't. The presenter was a bit angry with the statistic because in her work she said she believes that number to be way off and that far more children are propositioned than that. One of the things she does is set up fake identities, usually 13 or 14 YO girls and go into chat rooms. She said at that time the longest it had taken for a character to be approached was 8.5 seconds. They always made sure to have a name used that made it very apparent that this was supposed to be a 13 or 14 YO child. They had 12 chat sessions going on live on a second while she did the presentations and is was amazing what some were saying to this character. The character had been created just the night before.

Here is another link to a site that has presentations on Internet Safety for kids and materials that are free to use by anyone who wants to take the ball and do these presentations in their area.

Internet Safety for Kids
Old 11-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Gross.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:07 PM

Sometimes your ears can play funny tricks on you. I was on the road traveling and talking to my 9 year-old daughter. She excitedly tells me "I got a webcam!" Stunned silence on my end as I have nightmares about my daughter on YouTube doing things I would not approve of. As I was about to gently tell her that no, I would not allow her to have a webcam she continued talking about all the fun things she would be doing with her new toy. That's I realized she wasn't talking about a webcam but something else. Turns out it was Webkinz. Big sigh of relief on my end. The site looks pretty safe, and she can interact with her friends and only her friends without us having to worry so much about predators.

A good friend of my son's (12 or 13 years old) had to get his myspace account shut down after a short time because from the moment the account was established there were pervs trying to message him. No thanks.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:42 PM

Something else to remember is that predators are very very good at what they do. It is a very normal thing for them to start a relationship with a kid on-line pretending to also be a younger kid. They convince the kid to meet with them at the mall to hang out(or whatever) and all of a sudden they have what they want. The kid away away from Mommy and Daddy!

They do not always do this but it is pretty standard.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:04 PM

Child molesters have to be clever, or they get caught immediately and that's the end of their career, sexual and otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised if a great many of them were more keyed into and better with kids than their own parents are.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Child molesters have to be clever, or they get caught immediately and that's the end of their career, sexual and otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised if a great many of them were more keyed into and better with kids than their own parents are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! They play on the things kids like and don't like. Stuff like, "Oh Ya, My parents suck too". It is interesting the way they get caught a lot of the time too. Cops will pretend they are 13 or 14 YO kids and chat with them and then the perv can't stand it anymore and sets up a meeting. Some will drive hundreds of miles to meet and then they are greeted by the cops.

There is also a group out there called Perverted Justice that works to catch child molestors who work on the internet.
Perverted Justice

If you want to see how the pervs woork check out that site. They have records on line of actual conversations they have had with the pervs. Just sick!