Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Moral question?

This might seem insignificant to some, but a question I felt was worth asking:

Should one always accept someone's apology for something, when you know that they're *only* apologizing because they think (or know) that they're about to die?

Does it depend on what it is?
Why? Assume the person dying is very wrong about what they did and that you can only know that the apology is based on this premise of death.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Moral question?

yes
Old 11-17-2007, 01:35 PM

I think you may wish to re-word your question. It is obviously OK, but I don't think that's what you're getting at.

Is your question not more about the motive of either the apologiser or the forgiver?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This might seem insignificant to some, but a question I felt was worth asking:

Is it "ok" to accept someone's apology for something, when you know that they're *only* apologizing because they think (or know) that they're about to die?

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole concept of it being "ok" to accept an apology is rather silly, don't you think? What exactly is there to be gained or lost if somebody who wronged you apologizes or not? Ummm, like especially if they are dead?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:43 PM

If they know they are going to die then not accepting their apology for something is going to serve one purpose; increase their distress at dying. In effect causing that person pain for no real reason, that's as good a definition of immoral as any other.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they know they are going to die then not accepting their apology for something is going to serve one purpose; increase their distress at dying. In effect causing that person pain for no real reason, that's as good a definition of immoral as any other.

[/ QUOTE ]

reworded the OP, but:

is it just situationally dependent based on the "crime"? why is it so simply case dependent? the person was dead wrong in whatever it was. Should I accept the apology of a dying nazi soldier that killed my relatives? Should I accept the [censored] form high school's apology for dicking everyone that he knows over and being the biggest douche in the world and an immoral and dishonest prick and never having been able to change that?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:47 PM

My father left when I was three, I met him a couple of times when I was about 20, after each time he made no effort at contact.

He died this year, and I have little doubt that a visit from me in the hospital to tell him I thought he was a great dad would heve decreased his distress at dying. I chose not to make that trip.

Was my decision immoral?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:51 PM

hitch,

I do not think that it was immoral to do that but it's a bit different operating under the assumption that he did not apologize to you for your relationship's history. Would you have accepted an apology from him on his deathbed?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hitch,

I do not think that it was immoral to do that but it's a bit different operating under the assumption that he did not apologize to you for your relationship's history. Would you have accepted an apology from him on his deathbed?

[/ QUOTE ]

My post was directed at kerowo, but.....

Your question is a real doozy, let me give it some thought.... I'll be back.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:01 PM

By 'accepted', am I correct in thinking that you just mean verbally, as opposed to emotionally?