Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Life After Death

Why is this such a focus of most organized religions? I think the focus on eternal life undermines any rational arguments theists try to make for god's existence.

There is really nothing in the main arguments I've read for the existence of god, that argues how or why a human being will somehow live forever if he believes in him. (Other than that a being who could create a universe could have the power to grant eternal life if it wanted, I suppose.)

This fact alone makes me more suspicious of theists. If eternal life wasn't part of their teachings, I'd be more likely to take their arguments more seriously. Doesn't it seem a little convenient, that along with creating the universe, all these different gods also promise victory - over the one thing that scares humans the most?

The whole thing is such obvious wish-fulfillment, and I can't see how theists can honestly try to make arguments for the existence of god, and then throw in, "oh by the way he also says I'll never have to die" at the end.