Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-28-2007, 03:16 PM

Default $20+2 - Defending BB

Sorry guys, I can't seem to get the Hand History Converter to work. But here it is anyway.

Villain has been raising almost every orbit in late position. I have defended my BB successfully from him earlier stealing a pot on the river. He has not shown down very many hands, but seems relatively aggressive.

50/100

Villain - t2005
Hero - t2005 [Ac10h]

All fold
Villain raises to t300 from CO
Hero Calls t200

*** FLOP *** [Jd 9s As]

Hero Checks
Villain bets t400
Hero ????

I realize that checking that flop to him may have been a mistake, as it does not give me a clear picture of his hand. I'm not sure though, what do you guys think?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: $20+2 - Defending BB

since u checked, go ahead and raise to get an idea where you stand. c-c here does what? u get no information and you will likely check the turn again, right? you could c-c and then lead out with a bet on the turn but i would prefer a c-r here if you havent c-r alot.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:27 PM

Yeah, just to mention, I never check raised him the last time I pushed him off a hand. I check called until the river, where I opened up by moving all in with the remainder of my stack.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:31 PM

then c-r would be my play and if he reraised then you can lay it down, though your likely putting more chips into play by c-r instead of c-cl the flop, then betting the turn but I would want to push him off the hand on the flop. AT is vulnerable.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:33 PM

Is leading out on this flop and folding to a raise an option though? Instead of C-R?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:35 PM

thats would be my first play but since he said he already checked the flop, I was giving my opinion from there.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:38 PM

I wouldn't lead on this flop against a villain that has been described as agressive. As shutEMdown said AT is a vulnerable hand on this flop. If he is aggressive he will likely raise your OOP bet.

I know a lot of this discussion is focused on flop play but... if he has been raising a lot from LP throughout the tournament I think this is a good place to put out a bet as a resteal. There aren't many chips in the pot but it might stop him from stealing your blinds next time around. Maybe raise to ~T1000 and if called shove flop.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM

good point gt. the optimal play would be a re-raise pre flop and shove on flop. hmmm...possibilities are endless in this game!
Old 11-28-2007, 04:35 PM

1) shove preflop. AT is plenty enough of a hand against a habitual blind stealer on the CO. With 20bbs and no antes you're just short enough to reraise all-in.
2) c/r flop all-in. there is some talk in this thread about finding a way to fold this hand. you flopped the nuts here. villain isn't folding an ace and can have a lot of draws and may call you with less. you absolutely want to get all-in here. an LP raiser is likely to cbet this flop so let him bluff at it, when he does go all-in you're too short to make a smaller raise.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) shove preflop. AT is plenty enough of a hand against a habitual blind stealer on the CO. With 20bbs and no antes you're just short enough to reraise all-in.
2) c/r flop all-in. there is some talk in this thread about finding a way to fold this hand. you flopped the nuts here. villain isn't folding an ace and can have a lot of draws and may call you with less. you absolutely want to get all-in here. an LP raiser is likely to cbet this flop so let him bluff at it, when he does go all-in you're too short to make a smaller raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Anyone trying to find a fold here doesn't understand tourney poker.....I like a jam PF too.