Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Sandwich tips thread

[ QUOTE ]
and home-made fresh honey mustard

[/ QUOTE ]
What's "home-made honey mustard"? Is it just honey and mustard mixed together? Why would it be important that you mix it fresh? Both of those things live in a jar on a shelf before you buy them.
-Sam
Old 10-16-2006, 05:21 PM

Sam,

"I always make sure to flop the slices in a volumnous heap, instead of layered flat."

Very key, I agree.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What's "home-made honey mustard"? Is it just honey and mustard mixed together? Why would it be important that you mix it fresh? Both of those things live in a jar on a shelf before you buy them.
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

That is pretty much what it is. I actually buy it fresh rom a place down the block, so I guess it is not truly homemade. It just tastes alot better with good honey and good mustard, plus the honey taste is alot more powerful which I prefer.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

probably just customizability...
Old 10-16-2006, 09:27 PM

This isn't really a tip, just a sandwich that was very tasty:

1/3 of a Baguette, split down the middle and unfolded (not cut all the way through, helps hold the deliciousness together), buttered generously. 3 slices of maple ham, 2 slices of american cheese (will try with good cheddar next time, didn't have any), 2 slices of provolone, sprinkle of garlic powder, some thinly sliced onion, Kraft zesty Italian dressing.

Bake in oven until melty delicious.

Other optional ingredients:
Lettuce (uh, didn't have)
Tomato (ditto)
other tasty italian cured meat products (same)
pictures (too late)
Old 10-16-2006, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't really a tip, just a sandwich that was very tasty:

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

Quoth the bard:[ QUOTE ]
Please refrain from any more posts like that. We all know lots of types of good sandwiches and of course could have an endless thread of "sandwiches that we like." This thread is much more advanced, focused on advanced sandwich tips for those of us who possess a lot of knowledge about sandwiches already

[/ QUOTE ]
-Sam
Old 05-04-2007, 06:40 PM

A few things:

1. A technique to try for grilling sandwiches that gives you the cuban experience: You need two frying pans, and a tea kettle or brick or something heavy to place iside of pan. You need deli rolls. Fill your sandwich. Cheese is usually involved. Butter bottom and top of roll. Not insides. Heat pan on mediumish heat. Place sandwich in pan. Place second pan on top of sandwich. Place teapot or heavy thing on top of pan. Grill both sides. It's cuban sandwich like, but the fillings can be anything. I was hooked on this technique for a while, but it requires a lot of clean up.

2. Tortas are excellent. If you are in the Bay Area check out the taco trucks on International Blvd. in Oakland. My favorite is El Ojo de Agua. (They use a similar technique to above.)

3. I agree about Saigon Sandwiches. In south bay, and various other places where there are large vietnamese populations, check out Lee's Sandwiches. They make their own baguettes, which rival those from france.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:52 PM

WTF!
Lee Sandwiches sucks ass.

Try Dakao (downtown SJ), Dakao 2 (Milpitas), or Saigon bakery (McLaughlin and Story).
Old 05-04-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3. I agree about Saigon Sandwiches. In south bay, and various other places where there are large vietnamese populations, check out Lee's Sandwiches. They make their own baguettes, which rival those from france.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've eaten at the Lee's in Costa Mesa area. Sandwiches only $2.20 and pretty decent. Couple shrimp rolls, two dollah. And the strangest collection of ice creams that I've got to try each and every one of.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. A technique to try for grilling sandwiches that gives you the cuban experience: You need two frying pans, and a tea kettle or brick or something heavy to place iside of pan. You need deli rolls. Fill your sandwich. Cheese is usually involved. Butter bottom and top of roll. Not insides. Heat pan on mediumish heat. Place sandwich in pan. Place second pan on top of sandwich. Place teapot or heavy thing on top of pan. Grill both sides. It's cuban sandwich like, but the fillings can be anything. I was hooked on this technique for a while, but it requires a lot of clean up.

[/ QUOTE ]

or you could just use a Foreman grill...