Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 05:57 PM

Default EZ Snow I missed ???

150-300 Duece @ Rio

Folded to SB, who limps, I raise in BB with 8764, he calls
(I raise here because I dont want to check and draw 1, then he will know I have a peice of trash and I will be less likely to blow him off a hand later)

he draws 3, I brick, he checks to me and I bet, he calls

He draws 2, I catch a 5, he checks to me I bet, he calls

he stands pat
(he has shown earlier that he is willing to stand pat with very rough hands, and since he never put in a bet or raise his hand is cheese)

can I stand pat behind and bet river ? doesnt he have a peice of crap hand and will have a hard time to call a river bet ?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:30 PM

Default Re: EZ Snow I missed ???

His hand is horrid and this is a great spot for that play. The pot isn't too big, you have shown nothing but strength, and he has shown nothing but weakness. This is a play I've been wanting to make for a while now but still haven't. But at the levels I play at, the players who are bad enough to play a hand the way your opponent did here, are also probably bad enough to call a river bet. If I had been showing down winners, and if your opponent can fold a hand on the river, I would snow here.

This is a good play to have in the arsenal but I can see how it would be difficult to use live if you aren't prepared for it. After he stands pat I would be so shocked at how badly he has played his hand, that I doubt I would be able to sell the fact that I had a real hand.

Dustin
Old 07-27-2006, 01:04 AM

Save this play for another player.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Save this play for another player.

[/ QUOTE ]

But only a bad player would play a hand like this in the first place. Most everyone else is checkraising there, right? It seems to me that if you can't use this play now, then you can never use it.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that if you can't use this play now, then you can never use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:13 AM

Your opponent clearly sucks, I honestly don't think that you can get him to fold a J here.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:05 AM

In a follow up to this thread, I wish to report that I have pulled this move off twice now in the last few days, though both times on accident, and the first time I may have still had the best hand.

The situations have been the exact same as descirbed in the op, in position with a 1 card draw vs a 2cd. They stand pat and because sometimes I'm on autopilot and not paying the greatest attention (plus I have the mouse cursor right over the stand pat pat button), I stand pat with a weak hand I was intending to pat with had they still been still drawing. The first time I had a 98 which may have still been good, but the second time I had a J which probably wasn't. And both times I have followed through with a river bet and both times they have folded.

I don't remember who my opponent was in the 2nd hand, but in the first hand my opponent was a loose and bad player who I have played with a decent amount. But even though he is loose and bad, and knows me and surely must respect my game.

The moral here is that just because someone is loose and plays their hands badly on earlier streets doesn't automatically make them calling stations on the river. They may in fact feel that they are making a smart play but saving that last bet with an obviously beaten hand against a solid player, and it would take the same sophiscated reasoning that allows us to bluff here to allow them to call with bad 9 or T or worse.

Dustin