Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 07:48 PM

Default How do scalpers for bad teams make money?

I have always wondered this question. I grew up a Cleveland through the 90's and have seen my share of bad teams. Whenever my Dad and I would walk to the stadium from our parking lot every block it seems like people are selling tickets or asking for tickets. I didn't realize until last year that many of them are co-workers and that they all know each other.
I am not living in Cincy who is going through a baseball slump. My main question is how does a scalper for a team like the Cincinnati Reds make money? Some of the gates are pretty decent but when they attract 20K to a game there are plenty of decent seat available.

Why would I pay more with a scalper when I can buy a better, even or maybe worse seat then at the window?

I know the point is when the team gets good agian it's going to be a hot ticket, but when a team is a celler dweller what happens? And there are still plenty of people out selling even though they are doing so bad.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: How do scalpers for bad teams make money?

Scalpers often buy their tickets off people below face value and sell at face value.

Or some even get bulk deals from the stadium.

Last time I went to a Celtics game I got a $10 face value ticket for $8.50.

woo hoo!
Old 06-30-2007, 12:49 AM

Actually I live in Cincinnati, and there was an article in the paper a few weeks ago about scalpers. Basic gist of the story is that when a team sucks (such as the Reds) buying tickets from scalpers is a buyer's market(no kidding...). It mentioned in the story that it's possible, especially during a season like this, for the scalpers to lose money.

So I guess your answer is, they don't. At least not every night.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I live in Cincinnati, and there was an article in the paper a few weeks ago about scalpers. Basic gist of the story is that when a team sucks (such as the Reds) buying tickets from scalpers is a buyer's market(no kidding...). It mentioned in the story that it's possible, especially during a season like this, for the scalpers to lose money.

So I guess your answer is, they don't. At least not every night.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would seem to be the end of the thread. Good answer.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:54 AM

... Although the Green Bay Packers could be 2-11, and scalpers still would make way over face value for tickets for a Packers' home game at Lambeau Field. The season-ticket wait list is, like, at 75 years, and everyone wants to see Brett Favre play once.

When Favre retires, who knows. But for now, they could not win a game all season, still sell out every game, and scalpers would get at least $80-$100 per ticket on a $65 face value ticket.