Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 10:30 PM

Default s8 3 bet with split aces bad kicker

Still learning Stud/8 this is from midway through the PS nightly $33 HORSE. Comments on any and all streets please.

Tournament - HORSE - 7 Card Stud High-Low - Level X (270/540), Ante 54, Bring-In 81 (converter)

Seat 1: 3,219
Seat 3: 3,963
Seat 4: 5,599
Seat 6: 8,582
Seat 7: 1,700
Hero: 3,920

3rd Street - (1.20 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (3.50 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.75 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.75 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (6.75 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Old 08-22-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Re: s8 3 bet with split aces bad kicker

I would definitely slow down on 5th Street since his board is getting real scary. I suppose check-calling is best but none of your options are that good. I would seriously consider folding 6th.

Why is it only 6 handed? What was your river card?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:19 AM

I'm quite inclined to check/call 4th in these spots, a bet is going in either way, but now your hand stays face down and you may induce him to play chicken with you when you both brick 5th, especially if he has a small pair. On 5th, it's over; your backdoor low is gone, he's caught perfect, this is the time to let it go IMO.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:52 AM

I would check/call on 4th. By betting, you're telling him that you have AA (or any high hand), and that will make it easier for him to outplay you and/or to make less mistakes. Let him think you bricked on 4th(it's not as if you're going to miss out on a bet because most players will bet their boards in that spot)and take it from there.

If you check/call on 4th and he catches good again on 5th, I'd seriously consider letting it go although calling to see one more card drop *on his board* (YOUR board is not relevant) would probably be Ok, too. But, I don't like that you bet into him on 5th because now he knows that you have a high hand, and, you stand a great chance to get raised. Question, would you have dropped your hand had he raised you on 5th? If you would have, then I don't see the justification to the call on 6th. It's time to say goodbye and save 2 big bets, I think.