Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 02:04 PM

Default Subconsious Posting Theory

Looking at the repeat threads recently posted (namely Wedding Crashing and Biggest Regret) I have developed a theory. My hypothesis: individuals will skim the forum and some thread titles will stick in their subconsious. A few days later they will be struck by the idea of posting a thread about said topic stuck in their subconsious without remembering it had just been posted. Any validity to this theory or is it just coincidence that this happens?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Subconsious Posting Theory

i think you may be on target
Old 02-21-2006, 02:18 PM

I just posted this a few days ago...
Old 02-21-2006, 02:18 PM

Weird Im thinking of an idea about posting about how similar posts apear usually within a couple days of each other
Old 02-21-2006, 02:26 PM

If I was the academic sort, I think there's a really interesting thesis on the sociology of messages boards out there. This would be a fantastic addition.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:32 PM

Didnt realize regrets had been posted before, and you may very well be right. I also like DIDS idea of the sociology thesis, too bad im not studying sociology until grad school in like 5 years.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:12 PM

I think this is true. Another think I notice is that someone will often post a thread directly related to something in a thread several days earlier. Sometimes the poster will say something like "X thread got me thinking about..." but I would guess that most of the time they think they thought of it spontaneously.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Subconscious Posting Theory

Similar situation came up once for me, only involving school. I had just read this entertaining Fitzgerald story called A Diamond as Big as the Ritz. It was a fantasy type thing and fun, but if you saw a screen version of it it would be trash I'm sure. Anyway, I thought of titling an essay A Rhinestone as Big as the Ritz.

An essay with that title had been written. I had read it. I liked it. It had absolutely nothing to do w/ the story. I realized this after a chance reading of this book of essays in bathroom. I ended up writing about something else glad I didn't plagiarize a good title, even if accidentally. Then I was pissed I hadn't thought of it first.

This all just reminded me of George Harrison getting sued for ripping off He's so Fine in My Sweet Lord.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just posted this a few days ago...

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheh, nice one.

I think the OP is right, though.

Also, a corollary: people will use any flash of memory they have of a previous thread that's at all similar to a new thread as a way to rag on a new thread, often greatly exaggerating the similarities.

This happens in real life too; often people will avoid the hard work of actually thinking or the scary work of actually living by just turning their brains off to an entire argument or experience once they see something in it that they recognize.

The human ego is a fragile thing. And an aggressive one.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:39 PM

I find the sociology of message boards to be fascinating. It's incredible what some of these things become. We almost have a Lord of the Flies type thing going on here in OOT. Online communities always start out super friendly and helpful and on point with their intended topic, but always seem to degress into elitist regulars and flaming and "stfu noob" comments. If you have actually seen some theses (thesises?) published online regarding this, link them here, I would love to read some.