Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-07-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Ask a frenchman

[ QUOTE ]
Who's side are you on regarding the French Revolution?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not much of a debate anymmore. One can't be a royalist in today's France and appear serious.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:27 PM

It looks like I'll be taking an unexpected trip to France between Christmas and New Years. I spent about two weeks in France many moons ago. I didn't and don't speak much French. I was accompanied by someone who spoke French but at times not knowing French that well was a problem. Not sure what it's like today. I'll be flying into Paris and I'll do some sight seeing. Then to visit someone in the French countryside. Any tips, info about picking up enough French to get by greatly appreciated. Any other info greatly appreciated for a USA resident that hasn't been there in a very, very long time.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:48 PM

Are you descended from any nobility?

How do you feel about French men depicted as flaming homosexuals in America?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you descended from any nobility?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. like 99% of the population, I come from a long line of french peasants. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
How do you feel about French men depicted as flaming homosexuals in America?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are? Please give me examples of this. First time I've heard of such a cliché (I know the french = coward, french = dirty, french = arrogant ones and so forth.).

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like I'll be taking an unexpected trip to France between Christmas and New Years. I spent about two weeks in France many moons ago. I didn't and don't speak much French. I was accompanied by someone who spoke French but at times not knowing French that well was a problem. Not sure what it's like today. I'll be flying into Paris and I'll do some sight seeing. Then to visit someone in the French countryside. Any tips, info about picking up enough French to get by greatly appreciated. Any other info greatly appreciated for a USA resident that hasn't been there in a very, very long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like in most other countries, if you show up speaking a little of the local language, it is always extremely appreciated.

Try some onlines courses like http://www.easyfrench.net/ . Ideally, find yourself a real tutor for real life discussions though. French grammar is a bitch so if you have no intentions of really learning the language you'd want to stick to the basics.

Also feel free to join in the discussions on clubpoker.net (the french poker forum), or in the 2+2 francophone forums, it could help.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:01 PM

I agree with much of what you said concerning the French women, i.e. the grass is always greener. I liked the elegance alot, and found a high proportion of the women there attractive. (Like 6/10 or 7/10 at least mildly attractive) However, I couldn't help but notice how badly they age. Why no MILFs in France?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with much of what you said concerning the French women, i.e. the grass is always greener. I liked the elegance alot, and found a high proportion of the women there attractive. (Like 6/10 or 7/10 at least mildly attractive) However, I couldn't help but notice how badly they age. Why no MILFs in France?

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is: less plastic surgery, especially facelifts (although it's picking up). I don't see any other excuses for a smaller proportion of MILFs. But I also think you haven't been looking hard enough. Can't blame you for looking mostly at the young ones though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 05:08 PM

I heard there's gonna be another strike next week. Is this true? If it is, [censored].
Old 11-07-2007, 06:31 PM

How do you feel about Nicolas Sarkozy?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard there's gonna be another strike next week. Is this true? If it is, [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

True.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:25 PM

What do the French think of Italian high culture?