Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Questions Regarding Purchasing A Website

Hello Guys,

I have a few questions here regarding website purchases. I am about to finish my 3rd year of business school and this summer instead of working I have been considering purchasing an established website with my savings and then devoting my spare time into growing the site. I have some website making experience from my highschool days and what I believe to be a good understanding of business fundamentals. With that in mind here are a few questions:

1) If I was willing to spend between $1000-$5000 to purchase a website what range could I expect in terms of established monthly income?
2) Is there a correlation between the amount of time required to maintain a site and the initial purchase price?
3) Do passive sites have less growth potential? By passive I mean sites that require minimal work to maintain.
4) Is there any other major website marketplaces online besides sitepoint and sedo?
5) DOes anyone here have a site for sale that is generating revenue and would meet my purchasing price requirements?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 03-14-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Questions Regarding Purchasing A Website

1) between $100-$500 a month usually
2) not usually
3) The amount of time you put into a site will usually py off, be it updating or marketing
4) digitalpoint forums, wickedfire, earnersforum, dmforum, shoemoney has an aggregator
5) Not at the moment

When you're searching though keep in mind a lot of times sites aren't optimized as far as ad type and placement goes and you can often make a marginal site very profitable just by reworking that aspect. So watch out for niche sites with good traffic and just adsense ads. You can usually convert them to CPA offers and make a lot more.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Questions Regarding Purchasing A Website

1) If I was willing to spend between $1000-$5000 to purchase a website what range could I expect in terms of established monthly income?
2) Is there a correlation between the amount of time required to maintain a site and the initial purchase price?

Most sites sell for 6-10 months revenue. Some sell for much more. Low maintenance, older established sites (2+ years), unique content sites often sell for more and quickly. Most sites for sale are arcades, proxies, forums, directories, or whatever script is popular. They are often very new sites and sell for very little. New unique content sites usually sell quickly due to potential passive income after SEO and promotion.

3) Do passive sites have less growth potential? By passive I mean sites that require minimal work to maintain.

Depends. Most passive sites are targeted for a very specific niche. If the site has not been fully optimized, it can have a lot of growth. If it already ranks well for the targeted keywords, it is probably close to its full potential. Passive sites are purchased for long-term revenue. They don't need to make a lot as long as they have the ability to continue making money for a long time.

4) Is there any other major website marketplaces online besides sitepoint and sedo?

Already listed in previous post.

5) DOes anyone here have a site for sale that is generating revenue and would meet my purchasing price requirements?

No.

Questions for you:
How much do you know about SEO?
How much do you know about promoting a website?
How much do you know about maintaining a website?
Why do you want a site?
What type of site do you want?
Are you willing to work on a site for 3-12 months before seeing improvements to traffic and revenue?

Building/maintaining/buying a website is easy. Showing up in searches and getting visitors is the hard part.