Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Waiting for cards

I play regularly in a nine player 4/8 game at my local cardroom. I play a fairly tight game, gennerally in line with "Small Stakes Hold-em", by Miller, et al.

Did some math. Assume you wait till the blind passes, play one blind, and stop playing when the big blind arrives, essentially two rounds.

Ignoring the BIg blind, and assuming no raises, there is a 30% chance you won't have played a hand. Play two blinds and there is a 14% chance you won't have played a hand when the big blind arrives. Is it time to go home?

Thoughts?

180A
Old 02-20-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Waiting for cards

[ QUOTE ]
Is it time to go home?

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't really read much of your post other than this line. waiting is part of the game. those who don't are the ones that see their chips slowly bleed away.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:22 PM

....?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it time to go home?

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't really read much of your post other than this line. waiting is part of the game. those who don't are the ones that see their chips slowly bleed away.

[/ QUOTE ]

i read it and i really didn't understand what the point of it is. i agree w/CDC but i will add that those that don't adjust to properly loosen up in spots will see their chips slowly bleed away as well.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:43 PM

Some people might argue that waiting is your most important skill. Keep waiting.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:34 AM

My point was, how long does one wait? Yes, the will come around eventually.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:50 AM

There are 169 hand combinations. If the table is dealt 25 hands an hour, you will be waiting longer than if the table is dealt 40 hands an hour before you see a hand you can play in position.

If you are really asking about making a profit, generally unless everything is balanced and you have played thousands of hours, you will win a few hands in a short time and then you pay blinds until a few more hands come along.

The important thing to remember is everyone at the table is being dealt the same hands you are and you just have to wait your turn for your hands.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point was, how long does one wait? Yes, the will come around eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep waiting until I have to go home or somewhere else, or I run out of money, or I think I am playing bad, which makes it seem that if I keep playing I will certainly run out of money.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:01 PM

Patience is so key for having winning sessions. I have folded every hand for almost two hours and not let it upset me because I know the next few hands could be great. You can sit for two hours and not play a hand and then get dealt great cards 6 times in one orbit and double your stack.
Especailly in the loose/passive low limit games I play in you have to wait for cards because people aren't folding to moves like checkraises, semibluffs etc.. You have to have the cards and when you do just bet them and you will get paid off.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:07 PM

Last week, in a 4/8 game at the Red Rock, I won $214 in 2 hours. The next day, I lost $49 in 5 1/2 hours. Does that answer your question?