Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Looking more professional, a fashion thread

ND,

Just wanted to say thanks for that post, that was really helpful. I'm in my second year of law school and haven't been happy with the way I dressed during my summer jobs for a while. I'm gonna look slick next summer.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Someone on 2p2 reccomended this site, I love it:

yoox.com

find suits you like, order them, have them tailored.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your welcome [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Also re-noting that tailoring is always required.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In dim lighting, midnight blue will look darker than black.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fantastic. I recant everything I said about black suits. For my color blind purposes, anything dark is black. Perhaps your friend is right then about no black for lawyers. And hell, maybe I own 2-3 more charcoal/midnight blue suits than I thought.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:47 PM

No, it's gray. Charcoal is the commonly used term for darker suits of that color. Gray refers to the medium shade which is lighter, of course.

There's light gray, gray, then moving on to charcoal and then eventually black as you eliminate all the grayness. Obviously, there is an almost infinite variety of shades of gray, as with blues - light blue, blue, navy, darker navy, not that you would wear a robin's-egg blue suit.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, it's gray. Charcoal is the commonly used term for darker suits of that color. Gray refers to the medium shade which is lighter, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you walk into any reputable men's store (not Macy's) and ask to see grey suits, a good salesman will refer you to dark grey. For men's suits, the unmodified adjective will skew darker.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After reading all of these posts, I think that maybe I'm color blind. When I think about, I sometimes have a hard time telling the difference between my charcoal and black suits....

[/ QUOTE ]

In dim lighting, midnight blue will look darker than black.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely the case. Take everything over to the window and look at them in sunlight.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:15 PM

Monotone is retarded.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:25 PM

Why risk it & leave it up to the possibly untrained employee in whatever store some people in the thread will be shopping at? Many guys probably will be going to Macy's or Men's Wearhouse or JSBank, esp if they're starting out and low on cash. Just ask for charcoal if that's what you want.

n.b. One plus of having a really good tailor is that they will steer you to the right color, patterns, collars, etc for you regardless of what you initially wanted, or saw looked good on somebody else, but may be wrong for you.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
n.b. One plus of having a really good tailor is that they will steer you to the right color, patterns, collars, etc for you regardless of what you initially wanted, or saw looked good on somebody else, but may be wrong for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's also true of a good store.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:21 PM

All,

As has been pointed out by limon in thread and econophile in PM, the whole wearing a suit thing wasn't really the main thing I was after. Basically, I will have to wear a suit for some really important stuff, but only those few times and after that basically never. Obviously others benefit from the whole suit discussion so I'm not trying to stifle that but any further advice people have for just not looking like a slob would be appreciated.

For example, people suggested here going to Banana Republic. Is this significantly better than Old Navy and the Gap? I could be wrong, but believe they are all owned by the same company, not that that's really relevant I suppose.

What about stripes and other designs? I own some vertically striped shirts and others more plain or with extremely small checks, not sure what that's called. I'm assuming that since I'm neither European nor unfat having horizontal stripes in any shirt is bad news.

With pants, are just plain dockers (or similar) khakis fine? I should really word it differently, because they would be fine certainly, but would you guys reccomend other types of pants?

In general with the whole Gap etc look, I find it to be somewhat boring and impersonal - people that dress this way all look alike in a sense. Any tips on somehow getting a bit more personality and tastes into the clothing would be greatly appreciated.

Jared