Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 07:16 PM

Default $3 KO Tourney Mid-Stage Dilemma

Details: I got moved to this table just a little while ago. Villain is UTG and I don't use any poker software but he seemed to be a normal TAG player but this is only a $3 tournament so keep that in mind. My image is most likely pretty tight mostly due to being card dead. I dont think I've played a pot in the 2 rounds that have passed. I'm going to give my thoughts on each street and please let me know whether my thinking and logic is correct.

At this point my stack is 4280 and villain covers w/ blinds of 160/80 and no ante

Full Tilt (8 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of 80.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Simply completing the SB with a decent hand. I think raising is getting a little out of line with a marginal hand OOP and folding is too tight. BB is also passive so he'll most likely check so we can see a flop.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players and pot of 640)</font>

Obviously I have the nuts and want to build a big pot to get paid off for it since this is a flop that most likely hit at least one of the other 3 players. I lead (I'm pretty sure i should've bet maybe 1/2 or 2/3rds of the pot instead of 1/4th) in the hopes of getting raised.

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets 160</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">
UTG raises to 320</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

I called thinking that he most likely had an ace, a pair and a gutshot for a hand like AJ, AQ, KJ, or Q10. I also thought that the highest part of his range might be AA, JJ, or 10-10 but that was an outside possibility. In calling I was looking to check-raise all-in nearly all turns since after raising the flop I was pretty sure he'd bet the turn if checked to. Also at this point I thought he was drawing slim at best to a paired board so I wanted to keep him in the hand as best I could.

Turn: 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players and pot of 1280)</font>

I hated this card for obvious reasons. If he had a two pair hand like A-10 then he got there and also it could theoretically be a semi-scare card for him if he put me on like Q-10 or something like that. Following my flop plan though I checked and I shoved.

Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets 800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises 3788 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot:
Reults will be posted after good discussion.

Please let me know if my thinking was correct, especially on the flop. I think that I should've bet more on the flop so that maybe the stack sizes were easier to get in on the turn and also to build the pot more. Another thing I was thinking of doing was 3/betting the flop but I wasn't sure if A. he'd call a big 3/bet since at this point he should think I'm very strong and B. if he did call the 3/bet if he'd call the turn UI. Thank you for your time and look forward to some thoughful responses.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Re: $3 KO Tourney Mid-Stage Dilemma

Bet more on the flop, three bet and try to jam it all-in there. That board is very likely to hit villain, as shown by the min-raise.