Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Robert Jordan died.

By the third book the story has just begun, can't figure out how he would have finished the serie with only 3 books. It's an epic story, it requires epic amounts of pages.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of callous self-interest I hope that this prods George Martin into finishing A Song of Fire and Ice in a timely manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it mark me as a horrid person that this was my immediate first thought?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:49 PM

I like all the information here about other good series, but it's very scattered. I really need help in finding some good new books to read, so I started yet another book list thread. I hope some of you guys can head on over and contribute. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks,

Fantasy and Sci-Fi Series for Adults
Old 09-17-2007, 07:54 PM

And I agree with all who have noted how drawn out the series had become. If I was to compare it to another series, I'd say "Matrix" or perhaps "X-files" (which I never watched, so based on hearsay) - fantastic setup that the creator really had no idea what to do with.

The middle WoT books actually have a lot in common with "Reloaded" in that there are some awesome set pieces and some very interesting new characters and powers which turn out to be in service to...nothing. Also he fell victim to the good old "power creep" - as Rand got more and more powerful, the baddies had to get sicker and sicker, and you're left wondering where the big guns were to squash him in Book 1...
Old 09-17-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Wheel of Time is by far the greatest fantasy book series I have ever read... up until about book 9. I'm sorry to hear that Robert Jordan died, but, frankly, the books were starting to suck and I was starting to resent what I felt was him milking the series far beyond the point of reasonableness.

[/ QUOTE ]

He obviously died like 4 books ago. They've been awful. Same thing happened to L ron Hubbard -died in middle of book 7 and man was it obvious.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:58 AM

I never really thought the books got worse as the series progressed. Sure it got more convoluted and complex, but the reading was just as enjoyable. I don't mind that he dragged it out because the world he created was so amazing, with well developed characters at the vanguard.

Supposedly, his cousin knows how Memory of Light ends so I believe we will eventually see it in print, albeit with inferior writing.

Lord of Chaos was my fav...

Ashaman! KILL!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Lord of Chaos was my fav...

Ashaman! KILL!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

This bears repeating as its one of my favorite quotes in any series. I actually had stopped reading after book 7 with the intention of reading everything straight when the series was finished. I would like to know how it all ends but I'm hesitant about the later books.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:13 PM

Does anyone actually think the Martin HBO series will be any good, I just think that they will gloss over or avoid a lot of the elements of the book some of which are key to the characters development, pedophilia and incest just for starters. On top of that finding the really strong child actors needed is going to be a challenge as well.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Out of callous self-interest I hope that this prods George Martin into finishing A Song of Fire and Ice in a timely manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it mark me as a horrid person that this was my immediate first thought?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same, although sad at RJ's passing.

There's still plenty of superior fantasy out there:
GRRM
Tad Williams
Terry Pratchett
Dan Simmons
etc

WoT started as a 3/4-book series and it's very obvious.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:18 AM

Robert Jordan was my favorite author and he will be sorely missed.

I also enjoy GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire, but it, too, is dragging hard. This last book was difficult to get through because it introduced many many new characters none of whom were likable. This is only book 4 and it seems to me that it could continue indefinately much as RJ's work did.

For everyone who gave up on The Wheel of Time at books 8,9, and 10, you are missing out on a real treat with book 11. It seems to start to wrap things up. A lot of the baddies get their comeuppance and it seemed to be gaining steam towards Tarmon Gaidon. I agree that Heart of Winter was a hard read because the Perrin storyline is pretty boring and it seemed to dominate the book, but the Mat storyline picks up again in later books and we all love The Gambler.