Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: stephenh
villager 3 75.00%
wolf 0 0%
seer 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Crazy Phil Laak story with Pics

[ QUOTE ]
The more incriminating parts of the story sound so absurd that there's little doubt they're mostly [censored].

He probably ran into the kids without causing serious injury, paid the guy off in the heat of the moment, and when the guy realized he was rich, he decided he would take it to whatever extremes he could to get more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd usually inclined to feel the same way that you do, but there's a bunch of stuff that makes me reluctant to dismiss it completely out of hand.

- The guy seems to be identifiable, and running a legitimate business. Legitimate businessmen don't normally publicize their scams all over the net -- particularly not where you have US celebrities -- no matter how minor, involved.

- The guy claims that it was related to a heroin smuggling plan. Again, an odd thing for a legit businessman to say.

- Phil's old roomie, Trypwire, confirms his involvement in scamming, drug dealing, etc. during his Thailand days.

- Foreign nationals tend not to get away with flying into the US to try and blackmail/extort celebrities in public places, and on their own turf -- at least not unless they've got some really juicy stuff.

My guess is that Phil did a really bad thing at some time in his past, and now it's come back to haunt him. Whether that's killing kids, smuggling dope, sexing under-age Thai ladyboys or hiring a hitman I've no idea, but I'd bet money that there's something very shady at the back of all this -- or else why not see to it that this guy got the bum's rush at the WSOP instead of scooting off with his tail behind his legs? Surely someone with Laak's clout could make that happen in Vegas during the WSOP?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me it seems like the real scumbag is this guy. He just comes across that way to me. The way he talks, the way he looks. Just appears that way to me. And I'm usually a pretty good judge of character. Jmo

[/ QUOTE ]

good judge of bookcovers.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:43 PM

It's worth pointing out that from the interviews I have read, Laak didn't have much money back around 2000. He was a backgammon hustler, not the rich and famous poker celebrity he is today. Interesting that this web site and these stories surface now isn't it ?

Doesn't this remind anyone of all the despicable things we read about Hollywood celebrities doing in the scandal sheets and their TV counterparts ? From what I've read, it's not unheard of for celebrities to pay people off even when their stories are completely false, just to shut them up.

Even if Laak did do something wrong/illegal/embarrassing seven years ago in country halway around the globe, I find it hard to believe this tour operator is anywhere near as virtuous as he goes to such lengths to make himself out to be ... especially considering his business.

I'd put the eye of suspicion on that guy way before I put it on Laak. Maybe Laak boned a ladyboy in the ass by mistake, got mad, and threatened to kill this guy for setting him up, who knows, but murder for hire ? I really doubt it.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:11 PM

I believe everything I read on the Internet.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:35 PM

Someone hire The Terroist to solve this mess
Old 08-03-2007, 11:07 PM

O.K guys it seems Phil Laak is the is the innocent party here.Obviously there are some fact not on the web-site.This will be made clear early next week when the site will be re-written properly.

I am a legitimate business man and can be contacted any time by telephone(#on the web site.Whatever you may or may not think Phil has a lot to answer for
Old 08-03-2007, 11:29 PM

Do you have any tours that involve the girls in your friends pics ?

Thx
Old 08-03-2007, 11:30 PM

No do not operate sex tours
Old 08-03-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No do not operate sex tours

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you confirming all the girls pictured are hookers then?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:52 PM

All:

This is an old rumor that I heard once part of before in the NYC private clubs. I didn't pay it any mind, I assumed it was just an extension of the insane safe robbery story (which supposedly is true as per a friend who worked with Phil at the time at the Diamond Club - but they resolved this incident a long time ago and there is no bad blood so its really not a big deal except a funny story). Something back then smelled fishy about the story, and it still smells fishy now.

HOWEVER I can confirm that I was at the Expo, saw the bald headed dude near Phil, and 10 minutes later saw Phil and Jennifer scoot out the emergency exit on the north-west side (next to the GES booth, they almost ran me over while I was hanging with the Calloway booth hotties). So that part of the story might be true. The rest of it still sounds suspect to me however even though its an old rumor, its hard to believe Phil is capable of that.