Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Genarlow Wilson -- Georgia is insane

The blowback of racism is worth talking about. I hate [censored] like this not because I particularly care about people I don't know who happen to be black, but because there are obvious consequences which may affect me. Reminds me of war.

What's bad is bad for real reasons and will have real consequences.

It makes me wonder how dampened racial tension would actually be if it weren't for the state systematically seeing color and forcing its policies on us. When people stop thinking in color and seeing individuals as part of broad groups (and stop seeing real consequences articially tacked on to those groups), then there becomes no reason to discriminate. Some always will, and they will face the consequences of that irrationality. But you can't end discrimination by systematically monopolizing it.

The sad part is that people who hold my view usually come off as the "bad guy" if we don't articulate it perfectly (when really, if we're determined to play moral high ground, it is quite obviously the other way around). It's amazing how noble stupid people think they are.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aside from the ass-backwards law and the fevered prosecutor, the real oddity is why the law wasn't allowed to be retroactively applied to the case which spurred the laws creation.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the really weird part. The law was changed mainly due to his case, but the new ruling could not be applied to his case.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously the fact that he's black is why this happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

That can't be right. I've been informed hundreds of times by posters here that government *prevents* racism and *punishes* racists.

[/ QUOTE ]

pvn, this is intellectual dishonesty. You know damn well that because some govt tries to avoid X does not mean that X never happens anywhere, and you know that X still happens even without govt. Deleted

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it happens without government. But when Joe Schmoe doesn't like you because of your skin color, you just don't get to eat in his restaurant. When Mr. Government Agent doesn't, you get 10 years in the pokey.

The point being that statist who cry ZOMG RACISTS WILL RUN AMOK ignore the fact that the proposed "solution" creates even more opportunity for racists, and on a larger scale, with greater consequences for the targets, and YOU get to pay for it all!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the 10-year sentence was the judge's version of a "make right" for the jury's inability to convict on the rape charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any actual information on this other charge? I don't see anything in the article and haven't heard anything on CNN (though that certainly doesn't mean that it didn't happen).

It's irrelevant anyways though. Courts should be making decisions as they rightfully apply to the case in front of them. Not screwing things up and then further undermining their credibility by supposedly making up for it later. This isn't the NBA. You don't do makeup calls and then say the legal system is working fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Regardless, no one has mentioned in this thread yet that his release has been ordered and he'll end up having served about 2 years for all of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one's mentioned it because it's the headline and the first sentence of the article that I linked at the beginning of my OP. No one was trying to hide this obvious part of the story. The point is that a court in the United States of America made this TEN YEAR ruling, and then it took over two years of incarceration to appeal.

The fact that you think two+ years (and the scare that it could have been as much as 10) in prison for something that hardly deserves a sorry is an OK result is pretty amazing. I wonder if you'd feel the same way if you were accused of something petty that rested 2 years of your free life in a state judge's hands.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Was the chick white?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Neither was the other chick that he was charged (but found not guilty) with raping. Not consensual sex. Rape.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he was found not guilty on that count, right?

And didn't he and his friends videotape all of this and it was shown to the court? That's probably going to get you an inflammatory conviction and sentence in the Bible belt by itself, I don't care what color your are.....

I haven't looked at the details of this case in ages, but if I remember, while the consentual oral got an outlandish penalty.....I couldn't figure out how he got off on the rape count when the video shows him screwing a girl while shes practically knocked out unconscious and unable to consent.

I think the 10-year sentence was the judge's version of a "make right" for the jury's inability to convict on the rape charge.

Regardless, no one has mentioned in this thread yet that his release has been ordered and he'll end up having served about 2 years for all of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They dropped the rape charge because the video clearly showed her consenting.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:17 PM

Prisons would likely not go away, and idiotic convictions surely wouldn't. Whatever punishment scheme that ACism produces, stupid cases like this won't disappear. To blame statism for this is being intellectually dishonest.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They dropped the rape charge because the video clearly showed her consenting.

[/ QUOTE ]

So RedBean was way wrong and conveniently screwing up facts to support an indefensible position!? Noooo! That's not the Beaner I know!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It makes me wonder how dampened racial tension would actually be if it weren't for the state systematically seeing color and forcing its policies on us.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, Georgia would be way less racist, and certainly wouldn't send black kids to jail for oral sex with white kids, were it not for affirmative action?

Really?

ps: I am against affirmative action

pps: the average Georgian in a significant position of authority, ie a middle aged to old politician/judge/policeman, would have been a teenager somewhere between 1950 and 1980. hmm.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously the fact that he's black is why this happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

That can't be right. I've been informed hundreds of times by posters here that government *prevents* racism and *punishes* racists.

[/ QUOTE ]

pvn, this is intellectual dishonesty. You know damn well that because some govt tries to avoid X does not mean that X never happens anywhere, and you know that X still happens even without govt. Deleted

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it happens without government. But when Joe Schmoe doesn't like you because of your skin color, you just don't get to eat in his restaurant. When Mr. Government Agent doesn't, you get 10 years in the pokey.

The point being that statist who cry ZOMG RACISTS WILL RUN AMOK ignore the fact that the proposed "solution" creates even more opportunity for racists, and on a larger scale, with greater consequences for the targets, and YOU get to pay for it all!

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Joe Schmoe can kill you because of your race, with or without a govt, but of course you use "you won't eat in his restaurant" as an example of the worst case under AC. Please, man, stop already.

2) I have never ever heard a statist say that govt will make all racism disappear. I know you've heard a straw man. Stop it already.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/10/26...ef=mpstoryview

This story is bizarre. Basically, someone was sentenced to TEN YEARS of prison for having consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old when he was 17.

???

Is that even illegal? Apparently so, and Georgia has recently changed this sort of conduct between consenting minors to a misdemeanor rather than a felony. Whew, what a concession, I'm glad it is only mildly illegal for high schoolers to give each other head. It's good that minors often will not be charged for murder, but could face TEN YEARS for sexual relations with someone two years younger than them.

This just blows my mind. It's only one example, and [censored] happens, but if this isn't good evidence that a state monopoly on justice is really, really bad, then I don't know what is. Show me a private arbitrator who decides that the 17-year-old owes the 15-year-old something equal to 10 years of prison and I will show you a private arbitrator that goes out of business fast. <font color="red"> Totally wrong, in many states (or "geographical areas" if you were under AC) </font> It just couldn't happen. It's the type of injustice that would be totally inconceivable if state bureaucracy was not in charge. <font color="red">total nonsense. if deep-pocket daddy of the girl wanted to find "
justice at any price" it would be easier when all justice is bought and sold by definition </font>

I mean, when I heard the story in the background playing on CNN, I first thought he was an adult who had consensual relations with a 15-year-old, and I was like "hmm, ya, 10 years is ridiculous, it's good that they overturned that." I assumed it was some sort of reasonable debate, and still thought it was newsworthy. But then the fact that HE WAS SEVENTEEN and it was a two year difference just makes this impressively ridiculous. This could easily be a high school junior getting head from a sophomore, if that puts it in the correct perspective. TEN YEARS IN PRISON!

Obviously the fact that he's black is why this happened. <font color="red"> ORLY? support what it is that makes this "obvious" </font> But the point is this happened to a human being in the United States of America in 2005. Isn't that [censored] scary?

Government does not work. I used to think it was at least good for the sake of a clear authority, but I came to my senses on that, and examples like this are just empirical icing on the cake.

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="red"> it works far better than anything proposed on this site would, thats for sure </font>