Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 07:27 AM

Default plo100 - playing blockers badly?

my opponents in both hands were kind of average TAGgy type players, not very good but, not spewey either. the session i ran 26/9/4.7.

Im obviously always trying to win more pots with as marginal a hand as possible, but seeing as 1, i run fairly agressive and 2, people may/may not know i post here and therfore might regard me as 'tricky', am i just pushing thin edges too far in these hands?? hand 1 i assume he had a set, although i cant discount a made straight played slowly; and hand 2 he showed trip 3's which i dont think is great play from him but meh he won

Cryptologic
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $117.80
UTG+1: $162.53
CO: $114.77
Button: $189.65
SB: $92
Hero: $171.10

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $4.5</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($14, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $14</font>, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($42, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $42</font>, Button calls.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($126, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $126</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $126 returned to Button.

Results:
Final pot: $126

Cryptologic
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $174.05
UTG+1: $180.50
CO: $145.65
Button: $98.50
SB: $30.35
Hero: $83.85

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($3, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $3</font>, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($9, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $9</font>, CO calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($27, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $15</font>, CO calls.

Results:
Final pot: $57
<font color="#ffffff">Hero shows 5s Jd Jc 5h</font>
<font color="#ffffff">CO shows Kd 3d Js 3h</font>
Old 10-05-2007, 09:13 AM

Default Re: plo100 - playing blockers badly?

Hand 1 it seems as if your opponent had a set of 10's or K's. I don't know if he is making a value bet on the end like that if he had a straight. I must say you are defiantly pushing thin here but you said you were aggressive [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Hand 2 I don't think you played it badly. If he would have raised you on the turn which would have been a better way to play his hand you probably could have bailed, but other than that i think was ok.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:47 AM

I'm new to Omaha, but how are your bets in either of those hands anything other than bluffs? You've got 1 pair and not even top pair.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:45 AM

That's the whole point; he's bluffing because he has the key cards that make it less likely his opponents have the nuts.

To OP, lately it seems to games have been getting a lot more loose passive so I've dropped a lot of these kinds of bluffs from my regular repetoire.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:06 PM

I prefer to have some outs esp in #1.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM

Lately I have been bluffing when I have had the key cards, and I found most of the time I have been able to get them off the hand... however last night I tried this on a player and I knew I shouldn't have because she/he was a bit of a calling station and willing to call all the way down to the river with just a set and the board clearly represented either I would have a nut flush or a straight.

Seems either this player either knows you are agressive and was willing to hang in there and see if you are bluffing or he is just clueless like this person I was playing last night is... and she/he kept doing that through multiple hands... I just tagged this player and can't wait for the oppurtunity to catch the nuts on them and pot it the whole way and have them pay me off. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 01:47 PM

The point of the thread notwithstanding, would it be fair to say that your line of thought is irrelevant in hand 2? You're firing to potentially represent the nuts because your hand has two 5's in it, the problems being that people will usually fail to put you on the nuts, and run you down with sets anyway. With $15 on the river do you think you're folding out anything but a hand like 6375?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:05 PM

Hand 1 is fine, in a weird way thinking it is played incorrectly is somewhat results oriented because I am guessing if river blanks you are shoving, and I think he has to fold enough to make it a decent play.

Hand two I would like it much more if you had check rasied the flop. This defines your hand much better and enables you to continue your rouse initiated with your blockers.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The point of the thread notwithstanding, would it be fair to say that your line of thought is irrelevant in hand 2? You're firing to potentially represent the nuts because your hand has two 5's in it, the problems being that people will usually fail to put you on the nuts, and run you down with sets anyway. With $15 on the river do you think you're folding out anything but a hand like 6375?

[/ QUOTE ]

with hand 2 what is he beating apart from a stone cold bluff?? you may be right about the river, but he snap called me both streets, so when it goes to the river i figured he was either in calling mode to pick up a bluff or looking to hit a set and give up if he missed, so the bet size was i felt pretty meh as this is exactly how im playing the nut straight

my average win rate is around 6bb/100, so with hands like these im looking to see if i can push on to around 10bb/100. overall im really not so bothered about people calling me down in these spots, as more often than not im going to have the goods and they are going to chase me down drawing thin/dead
Old 10-07-2007, 02:51 AM

hand2 is awful, even nits are making a crying call here with a set.
the problem with these blocker plays are that 1) ppl dont like to fold strong hands like a set and 2) the fact that you have 2 key cards in your hand may make it more likely noone has the nuts but not impossible, especially against a large field