Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 09-21-2007, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Who banned Clarkmeister?

Masked Man:

Sometimes I wonder exactly what it is you are up to or striving for.

First off, the amount of revenue that Two Plus Two makes directly from www.twoplustwo.com is small compared to what we make directly from selling books. So increasing or decreasing website revenue a little bit has no impact on any decisions I make concerning the website.

Second, I think you're missing out on understanding the way we are operating www.twoplustwo.com. That is this is a very dynamic place. Because of that, I'm reluctant to produce hard and fast rules along the lines that you seem to be advocating. What Mat has implemented here is to have an on going discussion, of which this forum is part of, that examines issues like the one which began this thread, to try to bring everyone to a concensus.

There are only two situations where I get involved. The first is when I just happen to stumble across a post that I feel is totally outrageous. The second is when I feel that a poster is on a crusade to damage our book sales.

Now I want to clarify this second point a little. If we publish a book that you (or anyone feel is bad) you are free to give a negative opinion. We want the content in our books to be debated since we feel strongly that this debate will bring positive results for us.

But I will take action when someone who has a negative comment on our books ignores our responses or explanations and then continues his attacks in a vacuum. That won't be tolerated.

So except for these two spots, I prefer for this authority to be delegated to all moderators and our posters. While our system is currently not perfect, I and Mat Sklansky believe it works very well, and in my opinion there is no reason to change anything.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 09-21-2007, 02:53 AM

Mason,

"First off, the amount of revenue that Two Plus Two makes directly from www.twoplustwo.com is small compared to what we make directly from selling books"

That's pretty clear (though I'm pretty confident you could dwarf your publishing revenues by monetizing this website community in certain ways, but that's a whole different issue), and that's what I was getting at in my comments to tug. That's why I think the strat forums (key part of the forums to drive book sales imo) and foreign forums (key driver for poker site affiliate revs) are far more important than BBV/OOT/etc.

"Sometimes I wonder exactly what it is you are up to or striving for."

It's pretty simple. I like hanging out here and like interacting with a lot of the people here. But I would like hanging out here even more if certain types of posts didn't exist here. So, if I can have 2+2 without that crap, great. On the other hand, I'm VERY hard to offend, so if that stuff is gonna be posted here, that's probably fine with me too, I'll just ignore it. But, if I see you making statements that make it seem like you would also prefer posters on 2+2 to be held to a certain level of conduct, then I will show my support for that stance, as I'm doing here.

On a related note, I am curious as to your stance regarding the "I banged this chick" threads.

BTW, I talked to Clarky today and he definitely does not harbor any anti-blind person sentiment. I do think that he has some issues w/ Indian people, but that's something I'll deal w/ outside of 2+2.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On a related note, I am curious as to your stance regarding the "I banged this chick" threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have an opinion since I'm not familiar enough with them to comment knowledgeably. But I do think that stuff like this should be discussed on this forum where a concensus should be reached.

But there is one piece of advice I can impart here. Many years ago when I worked for the US Census Bureau, it was stressed that a good statistician will error on the conservative side. I have used that bit of advice all my life.

So to apply it to the "chick" thread that you bring up, if after the appropriate discussion it's not clear as to whether this stuff is okay, then the conservative decision would be to eliminate it.

[ QUOTE ]
That's pretty clear (though I'm pretty confident you could dwarf your publishing revenues by monetizing this website community in certain ways, but that's a whole different issue), and that's what I was getting at in my comments to tug

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been told for years and years by many people that I don't have a clue what I'm doing when it comes to running our business. And I'm always willing to listen to ways we could begin to dwarf our publishing revenues. But we haven't heard anything yet that I would consider to be worthwhile and that we could get our attorneys to approve.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 09-21-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can we just not [censored] with a system that works fine?

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:48 AM

I think that I'm finally understanding:

MM is totally OK with us having a pretty low bar, though there is a bar.

MM has a certain line of personal disgust - a bar below which he will moderate if he happens to be reading a thread. This bar is higher than the other bar, but he is fine with us not moderating to this bar.

So there's no issue of consistency really, as we are not expected to be consistent with Mason, and Mason is clearly totally allowed to impose stricter rules than he expects of us.

As for the threads with girls stuff, I'm in the same boat as El D. I find some of that stuff the most compelling and fun reads on 2p2, but I also find it totally disgusting and shameful. So meh.

MM, did you read the thread, I can't remember which forum it was in, but I think it was by El D, titled something like "Monetizing 2p2" ?

c
Old 09-21-2007, 12:16 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=8742667
Old 09-21-2007, 01:39 PM

Mason,

http://www.clubpenguin.com/ is a virtual community for little kids. They sold to Disney for $700 million.

http://www.ivillage.com/ is a content and community site for women that sold to NBC for $650 million.

http://www.ign.com/ is a community site largely for 18-34 males that sold to News Corp for $650 million.

There are plenty of other examples. The young male demographic is a very valuable one, and expanding into a broader community focused on those users is worth a lot of money. I listed a number of poker-specific ways to monetize the site in the thread citanul references (sites like CardRunners have already implemented a number of those ideas and are generating some pretty impressive revenue streams). Not sure if you saw the thread, but I know Mat did. I also talked to Ed when he was involved about a number of things that could be done with the website, not sure how much of that he discussed with you.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:12 PM

I hate to poke any bears in the general vicinity but Clarkmeister's ban happened 2 1/2 days ago and the duration is still listed as permanent. Wasn't the consensus that he would serve a short sentence, or was that merely implied but not confirmed?
Old 09-21-2007, 06:20 PM

I unbanned him this morning. What status are you viewing?
Old 09-21-2007, 06:20 PM

Mat unbanned him earlier today.