Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: neteller founder pleads guilty

Anyone with half a brain who is indicted in Federal Court in the US pleads guilty. Prosecutors do not want to have to go to trial and will generally give the defendant a MUCH lighter punishment if he will only plead guilty. If the Neteller guys had gone to trial, they could easily have been looking at 15 years. As it is, maybe they will do a little time; maybe none at all.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL you guys are all terrible at this.

1)of course he pled guilty, that had about a 99.9% chance of happening (there's a reason for those six continuances)

[/ QUOTE ]

i know nothing about defense strategy.

why were you so positive that he was going to plead?

i thought the DA were the ones that requested the continuances? to me, it looked like the prosecutor was foot dragging, which is good for the defendant right?
Old 06-30-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. So much negativity....sheesh. IMHO, this is good news for us. The DOJ has been "wasting" time and money and holding Neteller (our funds) hostage till they could show SOME kind of favorable outcome for the government.

Now that they can say, "see we got the bad guys" so we release Neteller's frozen funds (ours again). That penalty is a drop in the bucket whether it's the co-founders or Neteller paying... agreed it does NOT come out of our money.

A "friend" got through to Neteller and when he asked how this affected our money being returned, he was informed, "the July 13th schedule to return all U.S. players money is still intact at this point. We see no further delays unless something new comes up between now and then, not anticipated."

While that is far from gospel, it is a good direction. There was another link either here or on the NCC board. It was the statement yesterday of the DOJ saying all funds frozen were being released, the investigation is over.

Between that story and today's news, and thirdly, the phone contact (have no idea how he got through, but he is trustworthy on that part)... that's three good signs... once again with the caviat that there are no guarantees, and void in Minnesota and Oregon.... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2007, 04:03 AM

ugh, who's right?? im too dumb to figure it out. are we gettin our $$ or what???
Old 06-30-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1)of course he pled guilty, that had about a 99.9% chance of happening (there's a reason for those six continuances)

[/ QUOTE ]

i know nothing about defense strategy.

why were you so positive that he was going to plead?

i thought the DA were the ones that requested the continuances? to me, it looked like the prosecutor was foot dragging, which is good for the defendant right?

[/ QUOTE ]

because rich white collar defendants with good legal teams facing a federal trial with 15 year sentences do not ever actually go to trial. (except Enron - and then only because nobody was giving any plea deals to Enron execs.)

six continuances aren't foot dragging, they are 'we're negotiating the amount of prison time, if any'.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:13 AM

so basically he pleads guilty because neteller under his helm accepted monies intended for sportsbets from usa customers over the internet, and the usa law aka wire act is crystal clear in saying that was illegal.

his guilty plead and recent developments have nothing to do with poker. amiright?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:22 AM

Lefebre will enter a plea very soon. Note that the announced settlement with Lawrence provides for "joint and several" liability for payments.

One other thing of note. In court, the idiot Judge asked Lawrence if it was a condition of the deal that he cooperate with the government. Before Lawrence's lawyer or the prosecutor could jump up Lawrence said "yes."
Old 06-30-2007, 08:28 AM

Neteller should be able to take a hit for what they are responsible for (if anything) and still return our funds. If they use this as an excuse it would be insane.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lefebre will enter a plea very soon. Note that the announced settlement with Lawrence provides for "joint and several" liability for payments.

One other thing of note. In court, the idiot Judge asked Lawrence if it was a condition of the deal that he cooperate with the government. Before Lawrence's lawyer or the prosecutor could jump up Lawrence said "yes."

[/ QUOTE ]

When accepting pleas, federal judges are obligated to ask those kinds of questions, as well as many other questions you'd probably consider silly.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2)

[ QUOTE ]
So this means Neteller will most likely state that due to new developments no release of funds may be seen for quite a while if ever is what I am getting from this.

[/ QUOTE ]

the 100 million is from his personal funds (with the caveat of 'jointly and severably liable', but that liability will only be shared with future guilty pleaders, ie, LeFebvre)

3)Neteller has nothing to do with these fines at all, nor do our funds have anything to do with them

4)this has been a sports betting case all along and has nothing to do with poker. this does not mean that the DOJ will not eventually go after, say, epassporte, whose founder is conveniently based in California, but it does mean that epassporte's lawyers evidently believe that poker is not a DOJ issue at this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree with this. I don't think this will affect the return of funds.