Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2006, 08:44 PM

Default NHL Rules Question (Sabres-Flyers)

Watching the Sabres-Flyers game. Sabres are killing a penalty and Ryan Miller loses his stick behind the net. Daniel Briere skates over picks up the goalie stick and hands it to Miller right in front of the ref. Is this not a penalty? I know in college only the goalie can pick up the goalie stick (saw penalties called twice). I always thought it was a universal rule for all levels of hockey that only the goalie is allowed to handle the goalie stick.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:46 PM

Default Re: NHL Rules Question (Sabres-Flyers)

Definitely NOT a penalty in the NHL.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Watching the Sabres-Flyers game. Sabres are killing a penalty and Ryan Miller loses his stick behind the net. Daniel Briere skates over picks up the goalie stick and hands it to Miller right in front of the ref. Is this not a penalty? I know in college only the goalie can pick up the goalie stick (saw penalties called twice). I always thought it was a universal rule for all levels of hockey that only the goalie is allowed to handle the goalie stick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the rule in minor hockey in Ontario was (I stoped refing/playing a couple of years ago) that you aren't allowed to hold two sticks at the same time. If you want to pick up the golie stick you have to drop yours. The golie stick itself is not "special".
Old 04-28-2006, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the rule in minor hockey in Ontario was (I stoped refing/playing a couple of years ago) that you aren't allowed to hold two sticks at the same time. If you want to pick up the golie stick you have to drop yours. The golie stick itself is not "special".

[/ QUOTE ]

That has to be it, playing with 2 sticks. Briere still had his own stick in his hand when he picked up Miller's. This must not be an NHL rule.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:54 PM

You are not allowed to play with two sticks. So, Briere was fine holding the goalie stick & his stick. But if he had touched the puck while holding both, then he gets a penalty.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:42 AM

A skater can certainly retrieve the goalie stick, but he can not use the goalie stick. It would be a minor penalty. (using an illegal stick?)
Old 05-01-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A skater can certainly retrieve the goalie stick, but he can not use the goalie stick. It would be a minor penalty. (using an illegal stick?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course; the NHL rules explicitly set out limits for the size of player sticks, and separate rules for the size of goalie sticks.

Therefore, a player playing with a goalie stick would still be judged relative to the player stick standard and would obviously be called for using an illegal stick.