Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2006, 01:05 PM

Default Stupid Dealer Trick #143

Tonight's stupid dealer trick.

Good ol' Kansas man has been raising to $15 pre-flop about 60% of the time in our NL1/3 game. New dealer sits down and in his first three hands sees the guy raise to $15 each time.

So I'm in the BB and we have fold, limp, fold, and Kansas asks the dealer "how much is it to me?" Dealer laughs and says "$15". My mouth drops but I'm too speechless to say something instantly, and Kansas says "ok" and puts out $15. A player behind says "WAITAMINUTE--What do you mean it's $15 to him--there was no raise" and the dealer just laughs and says "he would have raised anyway." That player tells the dealer "you REALLY shouldn't do that" as he folds and the dealer again just laughs and says it doesn't matter 'cause this guy would have made it $15. When it comes to me I look right at the dealer and say "do NOT do that again" and he seems finally to grasp that just maybe that was not such a funny stunt.

That's about as blatantly interfering with the betting as a dealer can do short of reaching into a player's stack and physically betting it for him. Never seen something quite like it.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Stupid Dealer Trick #143

Yeah, that was dumb.

I don't think the table is the place to handle it though.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that was dumb.

I don't think the table is the place to handle it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The choices are to quickly let the dealer know right then and there that he screwed up. Or to go rat him out to the floor. There's nothing that can be done to fix the damage unless Kansas wants to take back his $15 and make it $3 (he does not--he was asked).

So I thought it best to just be sure the dealer really does understand he blew it and move on--only reason I paused to say something was because the dealer blew off the other player's comment about it. I made my comment, dealer said something like "ok, I'm sorry" and that was that. Issue resolved, and I'm $3 poorer.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I thought it best to just be sure the dealer really does understand he blew it and move on--only reason I paused to say something was because the dealer blew off the other player's comment about it. I made my comment, dealer said something like "ok, I'm sorry" and that was that. Issue resolved, and I'm $3 poorer.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with your line, especially since he blew-off the first comment.

You want the sound to be friendly, so the other players aren't spooked, but the eye-contact to be strong, so the dealer knows you mean buisness.
-Sam
Old 04-01-2006, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tonight's stupid dealer trick.

Good ol' Kansas man has been raising to $15 pre-flop about 60% of the time in our NL1/3 game. New dealer sits down and in his first three hands sees the guy raise to $15 each time.

So I'm in the BB and we have fold, limp, fold, and Kansas asks the dealer "how much is it to me?" Dealer laughs and says "$15".

[/ QUOTE ]

FLOOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FLOOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]No way. The dealer got the message with the comment, w/o you ruining the mood by calling the floor. Nobody wants to gamble with a nit who's tattling on the dealer making jokes.
-Sam
Old 04-01-2006, 01:45 PM

Bav,

Orleans?
Old 04-01-2006, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

FLOOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. Let the floor handle it. It's not your place to instruct the dealer. And yes, the dealer was out of line.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's nothing that can be done to fix the damage unless Kansas wants to take back his $15 and make it $3 (he does not--he was asked).

[/ QUOTE ]

So the dealer was right.

Mark me in the minority column, because I think you guys are making too big a thing out of this. The guy was going to make it $15 anyway.

Sure, in a perfect world, the dealer keeps his mouth shut. But there are degrees to every infraction. I just don't see this in line with a capital offense.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:16 PM

NIT ALERT: I would tip the dealer extra when I win a big pot because the guy bet's $15 every time. Great table and you are worried about $3?