Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 09:05 PM

Default $4/180 - Final heads up hand

I totally blew this. Would have been my first tournament win. How should I have played this? Probably should have checked the river behind. I decided to bet because I thought he would have a better 6 and fold often enough. When he raised, I felt like the pot was too big to fold or call since I'd be way outchipped and not confident at all heads up. I also convinced myself he could still just have a 6 and think that I was trying to steal the pot, and I didn't think about how much of his stack was in [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (2 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t124008)
BB (t145992)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls t1500, BB checks.

Flop: (t4800) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t6000</font>, Hero calls t6000.

Turn: (t16800) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t12000</font>, Hero calls t12000.

River: (t40800) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t18000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t54000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t102708</font>, BB calls t48708.

Final Pot: t246216
Old 11-28-2007, 07:10 AM

Default Re: $4/180 - Final heads up hand

Raise or fold preflop. Calling is just bad. I probably just fold preflop, but if you had reads that he'll give up his blinds easily I'll play pretty active on my button.

He overbets the flop, that's a bit confusing. I'd raise sometimes with top pair and a gutshot, but again, you should have plenty of reads on this guy by now. Calling the flop is fine.

I'll probably just flat the Turn as well.

The river is absolutely horrendous, quite possibly the worst River I've ever seen played. This is the easiest check behind in the world. If he was bluffing the entire way, he's folding worse hands anyways. Also, he could be check-calling you with a better 6, a weak two-pair, all sorts of stuff. And, also, he could easily be trapping you, which this seems to look like.

Even though your bet was awful, it's definitely a fold to the raise. Your push makes absolutely no sense. I'll stop there.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:48 AM

The river is strange, I don't see why he would try and trap you. Your whole line was pretty passive, so I'm guessing he thinks you are a passive player and not prone to bet the river if its checked to you. My guess would have been that he was playing a medium strength hand, but was worried that you were trapping him, but due to the river play that is obviously wrong.

Your play on the river was pretty strange, but it seems that his play was also strange. It seems a possibility that he was bluffing, then decided to give it up on the river, maybe he was convinced by your bet that you were weak and decided to raise. This is probably your only case for shoving, but its not a strong one.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:37 AM

What's your image vs this guy? I raise the button here, and half pot flop, all day, every day.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:03 PM

Oof. River is just total spewage. You have a little value with the pair of sixes, so you need to check behind. With a CR by villain, you're not pot-committed, and it's a pretty clear fold.

Had you been betting a lot when checked to on later streets? If so, given the play on the flop and turn, there's a pretty good reason to think he was trapping. If this is a bluff, it's a really bizarre one.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:19 PM

I agree with chrismystero except for his preflop reasoning. We've got an M of over 20 heads up (same with opponent), lots of play, never open fold your SB! You are getting the right pot odds to call with any hand. I do think you should be open raising on the button alot because thats good heads up play, but if you don't raise that doesn't mean you fold instead. Call and mix up your play.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:05 PM

Calling is fine preflop. Hero is getting over 3:1 to see a flop and will be in position postflop. Per Harrington in general you should never open fold at heads up.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:16 PM

never ever fold preflop in heads up situation where u are getting 3:1 on ur money. anyway, i would have probably raised the flop and hope take it down right there. but how it played out, ur action on the river is strange. just check behind and see if your hand help up. but it looks like villian has 96.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:44 PM

I like everything except the river. By the river villain usually either has a hand that is better then yours that can call or raise or a worse hand that folds. Check it down and be happy to get a cheap showdown. If you think you're bluffing on the river bet the pot, although I don't like this play, it's better than your small bet.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:52 PM

wow i'm out of touch with todays poker.