Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 05:48 AM

Default Tell me how you play AJ here after flopping top pair

Live game:

I raise AJo for $13 in ep and get one caller. Effective stacks are $250ish. Flop is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I lead for $20 and he smooth calls. I made it look like I had nothing so he could be calling light and planning on taking it away from me on the turn. With that in mind I decided to CR the turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and make his $40 bet $120 to go.

Is that horrible? I mean I'm obviously committed and then he raises all in for $110 more. Where did I go wrong here or is this an ok play? I guess I could of led again for a good amount and folded to his push or just C/C.I'm a little steamed up how things went tonight and not exactly sure how I feel about this hand. I know it's a lot of money to get it in with one pair but I went with that thought I had.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Tell me how you play AJ here after flopping top pair

[ QUOTE ]
Live game:

I raise AJo for $13 in ep and get one caller. Effective stacks are $250ish. Flop is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I lead for $20 and he smooth calls. I made it look like I had nothing so he could be calling light and planning on taking it away from me on the turn. With that in mind I decided to CR the turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and make his $40 bet $120 to go.

Is that horrible? I mean I'm obviously committed and then he raises all in for $110 more. Where did I go wrong here or is this an ok play? I guess I could of led again for a good amount and folded to his push or just C/C.I'm a little steamed up how things went tonight and not exactly sure how I feel about this hand. I know it's a lot of money to get it in with one pair but I went with that thought I had.

[/ QUOTE ]

well you can fold AJ in EP for starters but you can still lay this down, unless villan is a donk. you dont beat much and he is showing TON of strengths
Old 11-03-2007, 06:30 AM

I find it really hard to fold AJ playing $1-2. I normally have enough sense to know when to dump it postflop so it isn't usually a problem for me.

It's pretty obvious that I lost this hand so maybe we can talk about this situation theoretically. What are the best lines to take in instances like this?
Old 11-03-2007, 07:43 AM

b/f FTW
c/r and then calling a push is pretty bad IMO.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:00 AM

Get over this. AJo in EP is much like a boat, a hole in the table into which you throw money.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:10 AM

Agree that c/r is spewy. If Villain sponges (floats), c/c is ideal (and then c/c river). B/f is also good if he's a station or figures to have a Jack here. Either is okay with no read.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:12 AM

I think you've got to fold here. TPTK is very rarely good here unless Villian is a total donkey, particularly because I don't think you made it look like you had nothing - after all, you raised pf from EP and bet the flop.

Given a board with no obvious draws (apart from the unlikely 46), I think you're either WA (way ahead) (to TPGK or a small pair) or WB (to a set or overpair) but uncomfortably out of position. So to avoid letting the hand spin out of control, I'd prefer c/c and c/c on the turn and river (unless you hit another A or J, of course) possibly finding a fold on the river if you decide you're almost certainly beaten. The turn c/r, I think, suggests a little bit of FPS...

I agree with other posters that AJo, and even AQo, are not good hands to be getting involved with in EP, in any live game. Just makes for tricky situations like this one...
Old 11-03-2007, 04:34 PM

I think I had a few too many drinks and got a little frisky with this hand. I like the b/f or c/c a lot more than the line I took in hindsight. I put a ton of money in with one pair which doesn't tend to work too often [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

A $50 turn bet should tell us all we need to know in situations like this but I really thought he was gonna try to make a move on me when I looked weak on the flop. He could stack off with a worse hand here though after my CR...KJ QJ 88+ might think I'm FOS but the risk just isn't worth it. Thanks for the comments.

[ QUOTE ]
The turn c/r, I think, suggests a little bit of FPS...

[/ QUOTE ]
What is that?

Just to be clear, no one here is folding after I make it $120 right? He had 35s btw.