Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Splash the Pot (trip report)

On selective football games in my card room, the house will pick two tables and splash the pot for $100. So on a $1/2 NLHE table, there will be $103 in the pot preflop. One of of three things happen:
1. The table adopts 'civilized' rules and there is a checkdown.
2. The table adopts 'barbarian' rules and it becomes an all-in fest with people moving all-in with hands like T6o
3. Something in between 1 and 2.

Our table got splashed the 1st quarter and the table agreed to 'civilized' rules. So no one looked at their hand and everyone checked the hand down with 96o winning the pot with a boat (66699).

In the 2nd quarter the table got splashed again and one player said he didn't like 'civilized' rules so it was agreed to play by 'barbarian' rules. I made the decision to win this pot with regardless of my cards.....

I was in LP and everyone else had just limped in. After looking at my T9o, I moved all-in for $150 and announced, "I will show my hand" (hoping the table would think I had a good hand and fold all around. Two people folded and the damn button went into the tank. After a full minute and being scared he would call, I prodded him by saying, "Look, I promise you I would show you my hand and I will keep my word". He folded. Everyone else folded and I flipped over T9o to take the pot. The table hated my guts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The dealer laughed and said, "It was so obvious you were bluffing". One of the better players at the table said, "I'm very ticked off about this but I just wish I had the guts to have done the same thing you did".

Afterwords the table went on tilt and every player was gunning for me. The 'good' player went on the worst tilt. My $150 grew to just under $600 because I kept getting lots of action and I showed down hands. And called big bully bluffs from the tilt players. I bought three cookies from the waitress and splashed the pot with the cookies to lighten the mood a little. It helped a little but not much. I won't be able to make this play in this card room anymore. Later I caught the dealer on his break and asked him what my tell was. He gave me an invaluable 5 minute class on classic bluffing tells that dealers commonly see. The information was quite valuable and I'm positive it will save me a lot of money in the future... I tipped him $5 and left that night with a nice win....

Moral of the story [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
1. Dealers see a lot of plays at the table and if they can hep you with their game, then seek their help.
2. If you don't mind playing at a table with 8 players gunning for you, then make this play. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

P.S.
Before the splashpots, the player to my right had basically been potting every river. Either he was hitting every hand or he was bluffing a lot. I felt he had been bullying me but I kept folding preferring to over-respect him than to make a play on him. After the splash pot, his game fell apart and his $400 stack went to zero. Every 15 minutes he was shooting hateful glances at me. I don't think my trickery was that out-of-line but it seems my opinion was in the minority.... After all, in person psychology, giving false tells, reading tells, is what makes B&M poker more fun than online poker. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Splash the Pot (trip report)

Well the play made you money on future hands, didnt it? Money= right.

Seriously though, offering to show a hand makes you a jack ass? I enjoyed your post.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Later I caught the dealer on his break and asked him what my tell was. He gave me an invaluable 5 minute class on classic bluffing tells that dealers commonly see. The information was quite valuable and I'm positive it will save me a lot of money in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fun report! Care to share what the dealer mentioned?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Later I caught the dealer on his break and asked him what my tell was. He gave me an invaluable 5 minute class on classic bluffing tells that dealers commonly see. The information was quite valuable and I'm positive it will save me a lot of money in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fun report! Care to share what the dealer mentioned?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's easy to sit on the side and say "I *KNEW* he was bluffing." It's a lot harder to actually put $150 into the pot pre-flop with K7.

But I woulda called OP there in late position with K7. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2007, 07:15 PM

While dealers definitely are a potential goldmine of valuable information, as with anybody else, take their advice with a grain of salt. I had a dealer tell me once that 78o was the best hand in poker "because there's always a 7 or 8 on the flop". Apparently if you're drawing to a 7 or an 8 you have much more than the normal 4 outs. When asked why he preferred 78o instead of 78s, he said bc you can make two flushes instead of one.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:23 PM

Basically he said that there is no set bluff tell for players but he finds many bluffers will lean back in their chairs trying to look more relaxed than they truly are. While players with a big hand tend to lean forward closer to their chips. He says this is not a 100% reliable tell but he finds it to be a decent tell...
Old 10-30-2007, 08:25 PM

Definately, many dealers think that just dealing a lot of games makes them a good player. But I find these people easy to spot because they try to hard to impress you. This guy wasn't trying to impress me.....and by his demeanor I placed value into his insight.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's easy to sit on the side and say "I *KNEW* he was bluffing."

[/ QUOTE ]
SO TRUE!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
But I woulda called OP there in late position with K7.

[/ QUOTE ]
In hindsite a good phrase for me to use would have been "I can't turn my hand up now to encourage you to fold because the floor will rule my hand dead but I do promise to show my hand".

As for calling me with K7o.....you bastard!
Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 PM

As a dealer, let me tell you not to listen to what most dealers have to say about anything.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a dealer, let me tell you not to listen to what most dealers have to say about anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol