Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-15-2007, 07:59 PM

Default New Job Question

Alright, so as most of you know i used to work for Blockbuster and now i have officially left them for Sears. I had my first day today. I was supposed to be training in one store, but the guy who was supposed to be training me got promoted. So they had me go to the store where i am going to work for one day to do some online training. I was like ok fine. Now they are telling me they want me to drive all the way into Garden City for 5 weeks and train there. They are offering zero money to do this and are giving me one day notice. I live all the way out on the north fork of Long Island. It kind of annoyed me that they hired me for a store in Nassau when i applied and was told i was applying for a store in Suffolk, but they offered nice money so thats fine. But now they are making me drive a ton more then i was told. I suppose i should just shut it and train and man up during the 5 weeks, but im just trying to see if anyone else would complain, ask for gas money or do anything else.

Cliff Notes: Was hired for Store A which is 30 mins away from house, was told i was training at Store B which is 20 mins away from house now on one day notice i am training at Store C which is over 100 minutes away, do i have a right or reason to complain?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: New Job Question

yes you do have a reason to complain.

is this just entry level position? tell them to stuff it.

odds are that you'll just put up with, grow bitter, steal some minor items, justify it by thinking of this inconvenience they imposed, you'll get caught, fired, end up homeless.

i'd def. ask for comp for gas money, or delay your start date til someone can train you.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:09 PM

ask to work at store D
Old 10-15-2007, 08:21 PM

Yeah I think we need a bit more information about the position. If its a good job that you can't easily replace I'd mention your concerns but suck it up and do the 5 weeks when they say they're not giving you anything.

If you can get another job easily, go the "steal enough to make up for the inconvenience" route, or go for the awesome, sitcom-worthy quit.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:23 PM

Its not an "easy" job to get. I am the Assistant Store Manager in charge of Electronics. I make a decent amount of money and it was a pretty huge pay jump from Blockbuster.

I could see going to Store C if the person there was some kind of uber expert who would train me right, but apparently the guy has just been promoted. Not to mention there are like 5 other Sears in the area, i find it hard to believe no one at any of them can train me.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its not an "easy" job to get. I am the Assistant Store Manager in charge of Electronics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but I honestly laughed a solid 25 seconds after reading this.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its not an "easy" job to get. I am the Assistant Store Manager in charge of Electronics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but I honestly laughed a solid 25 seconds after reading this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? cause 25 seconds is a long time.

OP, have this discussion with someone at your job.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, have this discussion with someone at your job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it seems like you have a reasonable request and I'd just mention it politely. If they say no it sounds like the job is worth keeping and you'll have to suck it up. Of course since I'm vindictive I'd find little ways over time to make up the inconvenience. Probably not stealing stuff, but at least taking off early, taking long lunches, that sort of thing.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:09 PM

I brought up the drive with the Store Manager and HR Manager and both kept shrugging it off saying i need to train with people who know what they are doing. They admitted the drive would be rough, but that i "really need to train with someone who knows what they are doing." It kind of scares me that they freely admit that they employ so many morons i cant train at any of the 10 other stores nearby.

As far as the easy comment goes, i dont mean to say that its easy, just that in terms of retail jobs its not easy to get. Obviously compared to other professions working in retail isnt much to some people, but whatever.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:57 PM

Don't worry about it yo. Some people is just dicks.