View Poll Results: Pick 2
Parker @ CHI 1 8.33%
Brown vs. DEN 1 8.33%
Taylor @ SF 5 41.67%
Green @ BUF 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2007, 10:53 AM

Default ALCS - Indians vs Red Sox

This should be a great series. On paper, these teams are very close in a 7 game series.

CC and Beckett are both legit aces, games 1 and 5 should be classics. Carmona has been on a great roll as well; he should face off against Schilling in games 2 and probably 6. Schilling isn't peak Schill anymore, but since coming back from his injury, he has been one of the better pitchers in baseball. both these games will be played in Fenway.

the games 3 (and 7? gulp) starters are both wildcards. Westbrook had some great starts and some really bad ones; ditto for Dice-K. I think you give the edge to Dice-K here, but at this point I'm not thrilled sending either one up there.

(the above assume Schill gets moved up to game 2)

game 4 will likely be Byrd vs Wakefield (or Lester). again, this is a pretty even matchup. I think Lester > Wake, but Tito is likely to go with the vet, if healthy.

both teams have great, fully rested, healthy bullpens. I'm not sure where the edge goes here.

I think the clear lineup edge, though, goes to the Red Sox. they scored 56 more runs than the Indians this year, and nearly 100 more equivalent runs. This was with Manny having a downyear, and JD Drew being pretty bad. if JD can keep it somewhat, and Manny stays locked in, the Red Sox lineup gets a big edge. they are patient and powerful. the also led the league in stealing %.

defensively, I don't really know enough to comment. both teams look pretty solid.

in sum:

Cleveland SP small edge
Boston lineup big edge
bullpens and defense too close to call.

sooo...

I predict Red Sox in 7 games
Old 10-09-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Re: ALCS - Indians vs Red Sox

This could be a very good series, I'm saying Sox in 6. After watching last night's game featuring paul byrd, I may go on life-tilt if the Red Sox don't shell that tomato can of a pitcher.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sox in 6

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 5. LOL Byrd, LOL Borowski.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:10 AM

INDIANS IN 4 SHIPP IT
Old 10-09-2007, 11:22 AM

schilling is pitching game 3 according to weei's dennis and callahan, fwiw
Old 10-09-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sox in 6

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 5. LOL Byrd, LOL Borowski.

[/ QUOTE ]

What will be awesome: In 2008 Borowski becomes a starter and wins 23 games (see Carmona's 2006 closer numbers).

Here is what I (an Indians fan) think:
This is a very good matchup between two teams. Schilling owns the Indians. I don't think they've ever been able to hit him. Here's how I see the teams:

Bos lineup vs. Cle lineup - edge Boston. They have 8 good hitters and JD Drew. If JD Drew becomes the hero of the ALCS, I will [censored] puke.

Bos SP v. CLE SP - Edge - CLE. Each team has two aces that are, for all purposes, even. however, Westbrook and Byrd are slightly better than Dice-K and Wakefield.

BOS Bullpen vs. CLE Bullpen - Edge - CLE. Aside from Borowski, CLE has three lights out relievers.

I can't quite get my mind around having four starts from Sabathia and Carmona and the Indians not winning at least three of those. so that leaves 1 CC/Carmona start, two from Westbrook and one from Byrd (probably). So in my mind, the Indians have to win just one of those games, which I think is very likely. Of course, Boston has to be thinking the same thing with Schilling and Beckett (how do they not win the four games those pitchers start???).

I think the Indians in six with the breakdown as follows:

Boston - games 1 and 4

Cleveland - Games 2, 3, 5, and 6.

CLE Starters - 1 - CC (nerves are starting to show. I also wonder if he is feeling pressure to perform in the postseason to get a huge contract in 08).

2 - Carmona - he has pitched well against Boston this year.

3 - Westbrook (yeah, I am picking them to win this game, because I will be there. That's pretty much why. Still, Westbrook has his moments.)

4 - Byrd - Watching Paul Byrd pitch any game is like having sex with an ex-girlfriend, it's a little awkward and nervous, you have moments of confliction and doubt, and it might feel good at times, but you're never really happy about it.

5 - CC (assuming the Indians make it to game 5, CC will rebound)

6 - Carmona (Cleveland fans will totally go Book of Exodus and buy swamrs of locusts.)

-AA
Old 10-09-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the clear lineup edge, though, goes to the Red Sox.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of people are going to overestimate Boston's edge in the lineups. As someone who watched a whole lot of AL Central this year, I can tell you the Indians can hurt you up and down their order.

Sizemore is a stud in the leadoff spot. He still strikes out too much but he is dangerous. I'm not sold on Asdrubal Cabrera yet in the two spot, but he is still very young and I expect he will improve quickly. Hafner and Martinez are both big run producers and Victor is about as clutch as they come. With Garko and Peralta, the power extends way down in their order. It's easy to overlook Casey Blake, but he has come up with some huge hits for them. Watch out for him in Fenway. I'm predicting a big series for him.

Anyway, Boston has a good lineup, but Cleveland's is also very good. I'll be very surprised if this series doesn't go six or seven games.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Watching Paul Byrd pitch any game is like having sex with an ex-girlfriend, it's a little awkward and nervous, you have moments of confliction and doubt, and it might feel good at times, but you're never really happy about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I'll have to try that.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:42 AM

sox in 3.

thats how i roll
Old 10-09-2007, 11:42 AM

I hope they leave Schilling at #3. I'd much rather have him in gave 7 over Dice-k should it come to that.