Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: \"Lost\" Albums

[ QUOTE ]
Wow! I'm a huge Maria McKee fan and have everything she's ever released...from the first Lone Justice album to her latest solo work. Love, love love her...I've also seen her twice - once in the early days with LJ and once during the Life is Sweet tour.

Nice pull!

[/ QUOTE ]

Double wow! This is who I was going to mention. Damn and I thought I was the only one. Here's a couple of cool live clips

Sweet, Sweet Baby Live Version - Very Good

Has He Got a Friend For Me
This is from Dutch TV, with her sitting at a piano in a hotel room and just singing the song.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow! I'm a huge Maria McKee fan and have everything she's ever released...from the first Lone Justice album to her latest solo work. Love, love love her...I've also seen her twice - once in the early days with LJ and once during the Life is Sweet tour.

Nice pull!

[/ QUOTE ]

Double wow! This is who I was going to mention. Damn and I thought I was the only one. Here's a couple of cool live clips

Sweet, Sweet Baby Live Version - Very Good

Has He Got a Friend For Me
This is from Dutch TV, with her sitting at a piano in a hotel room and just singing the song.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding the Dutch TV clip (great clip BTW), apparently she "did well in Europe" as "they" sometimes say. A few years back my brother sent me a "Live - Swedish FM Disk (a two disk set)" from about the time of her warming up U2; it showed the electricity she could put out on stage very well. I'm pretty sure my brother trades only in legal concerts so you might be able to find it.

Of course Irieguy and Dom's threads got me to watch most of these last night goofing around You Tube; her Lone Justice stage sets weren't the best choice for pre-sleep music. I should have watched Lone Justice first and Richard and Linda Thompson from the other thread second. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW, I may have posted another (or the same) version of Sweet Sweet Baby but I Found Love was another of her wilder live Lone Justice performances.

~ Rick
Old 10-06-2007, 02:50 PM

The Catherine Wheel, by David Byrne. Made for the dance choreographed by Twyla Tharp, for me it soared above the dance. Very primal in the way that Byrne can be so keyed into, sometimes even shading into brutality, there are also moments of great tranquility and a sort of spiritual ascension. The music digs around in your guts and fears a bit, but processes it all and winds up someplace cool.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:50 PM

"You Gotta Sin to Get Saved" is in my constant CD rotation...just a fantastic singer and songwriter...not sure why Maria McKee never became huge.

I know most people don't like the second Lone Justice album, Shelter, feeling it was a pop bastardation of their country sound, but I always dug it...a good song is a good song, you know? Besides, if Lone Justice hadn't broken up I doubt we would've gotten MM's incredible solo work.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bill Mallonee of the Vigilantes of Love has had about 4 record contracts fall out from under him, including one around 1999 that Buddy Miller produced called audible sigh with Emmylou Harris singing on it -

video for said Emmylou track is here - (I now own that Gretsch in the video, BTW and the 50's fender tweed amp)

both Audible Sign and Summershine were records lost at the end of VOL's existance - Summershine was released around 9/11 and got totally lost - it's now available for FREE download track by track from Bill's online music site at VOLsounds or billmallonee.net - 2nd album down - Audible sigh was more alt-country whereas summershine had some really good pop sounds on it -

Bill's an incredible lyricist - Edwin Mccain covered a couple tunes on the last album - last I heard he was living gig to gig and subbing as a janitor at a school in between tours - total waste of a great songwriter

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this a lot...very cool find...thanks to you I'm into Kathleen Edwards and now Bill Mallonee!
Old 10-06-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"You Gotta Sin to Get Saved" is in my constant CD rotation...just a fantastic singer and songwriter...not sure why Maria McKee never became huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's in my rotation too. From listening to interviews and live concerts Maria seemed to be the type to always disavow her previous work (especially her Lone Justice work done the Lone Justice high energy style). I think she should have been savvy enough to through a few bones to her early fan base. She could have done it without sounding like a tribute band.

To stay in a "CD rotation" the music on the album needs to be timeless and there can't be any "skip over" cuts. Her Lone Justice albums do have a couple skip over cuts IMO.

I still like music played through a real stereo in the living room so a CD rotation is important to me. Only ten percent of my CDs continuously stay in the rotation; the skip over cut thing is much easier to edit out of an iTunes playlist.

My dream is to take an old computer, install huge disk drives, rip my best CDs into a lossless format and put them on the old computer, figure out a way to connect this to my 5.1/7.1 A/V home theater and set up an iTunes type interface where I can sit back in a chair with a click wheel type remote and listen to full fidelity music and custom playlists. I know something like it can be done with an iDock but I prefer the lossless format and need more storage than can be found on an iPod.

[ QUOTE ]
I know most people don't like the second Lone Justice album, Shelter, feeling it was a pop bastardation of their country sound, but I always dug it...a good song is a good song, you know? Besides, if Lone Justice hadn't broken up I doubt we would've gotten MM's incredible solo work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm listening to the Shelter album now. Maybe there aren't any skip over cuts [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 10-06-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's in my rotation too. From listening to interviews and live concerts Maria seemed to be the type to always disavow her previous work (especially her Lone Justice work done the Lone Justice high energy style). I think she should have been savvy enough to through a few bones to her early fan base. She could have done it without sounding like a tribute band.

To stay in a "CD rotation" the music on the album needs to be timeless and there can't be any "skip over" cuts. Her Lone Justice albums do have a couple skip over cuts IMO.

I still like music played through a real stereo in the living room so a CD rotation is important to me. Only ten percent of my CDs continuously stay in the rotation; the skip over cut thing is much easier to edit out of an iTunes playlist.

My dream is to take an old computer, install huge disk drives, rip my best CDs into a lossless format and put them on the old computer, figure out a way to connect this to my 5.1/7.1 A/V home theater and set up an iTunes type interface where I can sit back in a chair with a click wheel type remote and listen to full fidelity music and custom playlists. I know something like it can be done with an iDock but I prefer the lossless format and need more storage than can be found on an iPod.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm listening to the Shelter album now. Maybe there aren't any skip over cuts [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy did I bastardize bastardization! "Bastardation?" I think too much poker is killing brain cells.

I always liked Shelter better than the first LJ album... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ...and I'm listening to You Gotta sin to Get Saved right now! Sometimes I just loop "I Forgive You" over and over. I can't stop this habit anyway...

Can't you just connect a hard drive with your songs on it to a decent speaker system? Doesn't seem that hard to do.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't you just connect a hard drive with your songs on it to a decent speaker system? Doesn't seem that hard to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly certain you need to convert your CD cuts to the right lossless format that will support tagging (since I want an iTunes like interface). I'll have an old computer to work with this winter and try to figure out how to hook it up to the A/V receiver. The remote needs to look like a click wheel and the TV serves as the menu screen. But it might be easier to do than I think. I'll research it more deeply when time permits.

Meanwhile my desktop computer sounds great with upper end Klipsh speakers but that's in a bedroom office.

~ Rick
Old 10-06-2007, 05:46 PM

Here's on for ya........

Flash and the Pan.

They don't have many of the cuts of off the album, but I have to wonder if anyone here has ever heard of them?

Funky, creative Aussie band from the 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1_yJ...;search=80%27s

....Have fun!
Old 10-06-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly certain you need to convert your CD cuts to the right lossless format that will support tagging (since I want an iTunes like interface). I'll have an old computer to work with this winter and try to figure out how to hook it up to the A/V receiver. The remote needs to look like a click wheel and the TV serves as the menu screen. But it might be easier to do than I think. I'll research it more deeply when time permits.

Meanwhile my desktop computer sounds great with upper end Klipsh speakers but that's in a bedroom office.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

The Apple Airport Express is a wireless router that has an audio output. I have my hard drive hooked up to a different router (Airport extreme) so I can use my laptop to connect to my entire library on the hard drive and stream to the stereo. I'm pretty sure that streaming from iTunes has some degradation, even from a lossless source, but this might be close to the solution you are looking for.