Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 04:19 AM

Default Re: New Pet Peeve

[ QUOTE ]

i don't see the what the big deal was? you hate mexicans or something? as a hispanic-american, i don't mind hearing spanish from caucasians, show they understand more about the world then most americans

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree im pretty sure that someone that speaks spanish better than english would find it more flattering than insulting. i know if i was in mexico or spain etc... i would find it much more warming and appealing if they at least tried to speak english to me no matter how broken it was. I know its different in other countries because english is a much more studied and learned language than spanish is in the US. I still think that i would enjoy someone trying to communicate with me in my native tongue even if it was half assed.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i know this sounds crazy to some of you, but you could also try learning to speak spanish, since people in most developed countries around the world are able to speak at LEAST two languages, except for here. the whole idea of 'i live in the USA, i don't need to learn any other language' is lame IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are these developed countries you speak of? Im Norwegian myself, but except for in Scandinavia and the UK I often have a hard time finding people in Europe that can carry a conversation in English. Visited Germany last summer, and except for some local college kids we met in a bar there were basically noone there that were even close to understand English. And its worse when you go further south in Europe.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:04 AM

I will use this opportunity to once again bitch about my experience in Paris. My French sucks balls and I've had a looong day, so I ask a simple question in English. They answer me in French: 'I don't understand English, sorry'. OK, fair enough. So I try in French. Answer is in perfect English: 'yeah, we have xyz over there, have a look' and a bunch of small talk while I'm paying for said goods. Arrogant pricks.

Re: OP's pet peeve: Yeah that kid is just a douchebag. It takes five minutes to learn 'I'd like to have xyz', and the guy is not gonna go into a lengthy conversation with him that will help him with his Spanish. At least go to a restaurant or someplace where people will have time to help you out and actually have a little conversation.

It's good to know some basic phrases in another language, and it can genuinely be helpful if the person doesn't speak English. But if he does, and it's obvious that you're not going to understand any answer other than 'si senor', please. You're just trying to show off and you know it.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:06 AM

in case it wasn't clear because i get the impression from some of the posts that it isn't, the mexican guy behind the counter obviously spoke english well. the white kid knows this, yet decides to speak spanish to him anyways as if to say "hey i speak a little bit of spanish. you are mexican. even though i know you can speak english perfectly fine i am going to make a big scene out of your ethnicity and my acknowledgment of your ethnicity by talking to you in 3rd grade level spanish. you are different than me (read: white american) and i will demonstrate this point by insulting/belittling your ability to speak english."
Old 10-04-2007, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in case it wasn't clear because i get the impression from some of the posts that it isn't, the mexican guy behind the counter obviously spoke english well. the white kid knows this, yet decides to speak spanish to him anyways as if to say "hey i speak a little bit of spanish. you are mexican. even though i know you can speak english perfectly fine i am going to make a big scene out of your ethnicity and my acknowledgment of your ethnicity by talking to you in 3rd grade level spanish. you are different than me (read: white american) and i will demonstrate this point by insulting/belittling your ability to speak english."

[/ QUOTE ]

This may indeed be the case. However, another way to look at it would be this:

"I'm aware that you're an immigrant and away from your original home, so perhaps I'll make an effort to speak in your own langauge so as to make you feel a little more welcome."

or how about;

"I'm studying Spanish and I really need the practice so I might take this opportunity to try using the language."

Seeing that I am an immigrant to a country with another language, and seeing as I returned home a couple fo times early on, I've found myself in both of these situations. The first one being the Mexican, and the second one being the student. I think that they're both reasonable alternatives to your own hypothesis on the situation.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will use this opportunity to once again bitch about my experience in Paris. My French sucks balls and I've had a looong day, so I ask a simple question in English. They answer me in French: 'I don't understand English, sorry'. OK, fair enough. So I try in French. Answer is in perfect English: 'yeah, we have xyz over there, have a look' and a bunch of small talk while I'm paying for said goods. Arrogant pricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's arrogance on both sides there. Though, clearly, they were busting your balls.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...Im from Norway but for the last 3 years I have been going to school in North Dakota, where there are a substantial number of Norwegian-Americans. A lot of people point out that I have an accent, and ask me where Im from. When they hear Im from Norway they start saying the 3-4 phrases they know in Norwegian, and sometimes ask me to teach them a few more.

Until now I have found this funny and as a nice thing, its cool that people try to show that they are familiar with my country or know something about my culture. But now I understand that I have been the victim of racism, those white Americans point out that I am diferent then them, Im just a white European. Oh how terrible, imagine that they dare speaking to me in my native language when my english is way way better than their Norwegian.

So thanks for clarifying that what I thought of as funny and showing an interest in my culture rather is a way to belittle me. Should I contact Al Sharpton?